Hai Xian Zhu Zhou - Ke Kou Mian @ Blk 233 Yishun Street 21

porridge, review,海鲜煮粥,singapore,ke kou mian,food review,yishun,hai xian zhu zhou,blk 233 yishun street 21,可口面,food,

After having the ke kou mian from Bon Appetit at Yishun Park Hawker Centre, I kept thinking about the one near me at Blk 163A Gangsa Road (Bukit Panjang) and how the two actually compares.

To my surprise, I discovered that they have a stall at Yishun which is managed by relatives and its location is actually along the route to Yishun Park Hawker Centre from the bus interchange.

After I am done with Yishun Park Hawker Centre, I decided to check out this Hai Xian Zhu Zhou outlet at Blk 233 Yishun Street 21.

The coffee shop is located across the street from the bus stop where I got off. It is a quiet neighborhood however, all that changed once I stepped into the busy coffee shop. The premise was full of people with lots of chattering and hardly an empty table available.

I quickly joined the queue to place my order for a bowl of pork ke kou mian and was given a number tag to collect my food when the corresponding number flashed on the digital screen. I know a lot of customers were there for the exact same reason as I do because everyone were craning their necks towards the direction of the stall, waiting for their number to come up.

It took about twenty minutes for my number to appear on the screen.

porridge, review,海鲜煮粥,singapore,ke kou mian,food review,yishun,hai xian zhu zhou,blk 233 yishun street 21,可口面,food,

The stall sells a variety of porridge and ke kou mian with options of different noodles (instant noodle, mee sua, yee mian) and broth (pork, seafood, tom yum). Understandably, the ingredients differs according to the broth you select.

I chose instant noodle in pork broth ($3.50 without egg) which came with pork slices, chunks of minced pork, pig's liver and chye sim.

The sweet tasting broth did not taste like it was flavored with the msg pack that came with the instant noodle. It was not overly salty yet addictively tasty. 

As for the noodles, they were springy and had a good bite.

porridge, review,海鲜煮粥,singapore,ke kou mian,food review,yishun,hai xian zhu zhou,blk 233 yishun street 21,可口面,food,

I love the tender pork slices which has probably been coated with corn starch and the chunks of well marinated minced pork.

There was only one tiny piece of pig's liver but it is tough and overcooked.

In terms of taste, this is actually a better bowl than the one from Yishun Park Hawker Centre however in terms of portion, the latter win hands down.

porridge, review,海鲜煮粥,singapore,ke kou mian,food review,yishun,hai xian zhu zhou,blk 233 yishun street 21,可口面,food,

If there is anything I cannot stand, it is rudeness. After placing my order, I heard the uncle mumbling something incoherent. I could not hear what he was saying or even sure if he was talking to me (or passing instructions to the kitchen) thus I paid no heed to him.

And this is when he suddenly raise his voice asking if I wanted to add an egg.

I am not expecting five stars service at a coffee shop but I am sure nobody appreciates being yelled at for no apparent reason especially while paying for said service.

I do not live in the flats upstairs; I had to take a thirty minutes train ride and transfer to a bus in order to reach here to support your business.

You are enjoying a roaring business only because of your customers' support so treat them right. I reiterate: I am not asking for five stars service at a coffee shop, all I am asking for is mutual respect.


HAI XIAN ZHU ZHOU 海鲜煮粥
Choh Dee Place
Blk 233 Yishun Street 21
#01-472
Singapore 760233

Business Hours
Thu - Tue: 6am - 3pm
Closed: Wed



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach