Ah Tan Wings - Har Cheong Gai Cutlet @ Yishun Park Hawker Centre

singapore,ah tan wings,food review,review,fried chicken wing,atas cutlet,yishun,yishun park hawker centre,food,har cheong gai,prawn paste chicken,

After hearing so much raves about Ah Tan Wings, I finally had the chance to give them a try at Yishun Park Hawker Centre.

This stall specializes in one of Singaporean's favorite tze char dish - the prawn paste chicken, or better known as har cheong gai which is essentially deep fried chicken marinated in fermented prawn paste.

The menu here is simple.

You can buy the chicken wings ala carte at $1.80 each (minimum two pieces), or as a meal with either two wings (Set A $5.20) or chicken cutlet (Set B $6.80). Both meals come with rice and a sunny side up with cucumbers and half a wedge of lemon.

There is also the basic meal (Set C $3.50) which is similar to Set A but only come with one wing and no fried egg.

singapore,ah tan wings,food review,review,fried chicken wing,atas cutlet,yishun,yishun park hawker centre,food,har cheong gai,prawn paste chicken,

After studying the menu, I decided to go for the Set B, also called the ATAS Cutlet instead of Set A because for $1.60 more, you get a lot more meat than two wings.

There were two other customers before me in the queue when I arrived just before noon. The one who ordered the chicken wings set got his order immediately as the wings are pre-fried. For the second customer and I who both ordered the cutlet set had to wait as our cutlet were fried upon order.

When I received my order, I was disappointed to see the other customer having one big chicken cutlet while I had two smaller piecesCalling them chicken fillet would have been more appropriate. 

Also, the alfafa sprouts that adorned the rice in the poster were missing from all our orders. I believe they no longer use this ingredient.

singapore,ah tan wings,food review,review,fried chicken wing,atas cutlet,yishun,yishun park hawker centre,food,har cheong gai,prawn paste chicken,

The lightly aromatic rice reminded me of chicken rice that has been toned-down by quite a bit though it did not make the rice any less welcoming.

I like the egg for its crisp edge however, a wobbly yolk would have been more appealing than a overcooked one.

Also, they could have been more generous with the cucumber. I have to give them credit for using Japanese cucumbers.

singapore,ah tan wings,food review,review,fried chicken wing,atas cutlet,yishun,yishun park hawker centre,food,har cheong gai,prawn paste chicken,

I heard the chicken were marinated for about two days. Indeed, the shrimp paste flavor is quite pronounced. It has to be the most heavily marinated har cheong gai I ever had. So much so I find it too pungent for my liking.

I find the chicken cutlet extremely oily and jelak that I only managed to stomach one piece. It did not help that there is only half a wedge of lemon to cut through all the grease.

I wonder would it have been better if I had ordered the wings instead?

singapore,ah tan wings,food review,review,fried chicken wing,atas cutlet,yishun,yishun park hawker centre,food,har cheong gai,prawn paste chicken,

Yishun Park Hawker Centre have developed its own app called the "Tuck Shop" that allow customers to make cashless payments.

Download the app to your mobile phone, top up your account with credits via the machines at the hawker centre and you can now pay for your meal by scanning the QR code on your screen with the scanner at the respective stalls.

You will receive both a hard copy receipt from the hawker and a digital one in your app. You will also be able to check your past transactions and monitor the credits you have left in your account.

The price for this set is $6.80 but I only had to pay $6.12 with 10% off simply by using the Tuck Shop app.


AH TAN WINGS
Yishun Park Hawker Centre
51 Yishun Avenue 11
#01-40
Singapore 768867

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 11am - 9pm

Website: https://www.facebook.com/ahtanwings



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach