Da San Yuan - Bak Chor Mee @ Yishun Park Hawker Centre

bak chor mee, da san yuan, da san yuan bak chor mee, 大三圆, 肉挫面, 肉脞面, 肉脞麵, food, food review, review, singapore, yishun, yishun park hawker centre,

The purpose of this trip to Yishun Park Hawker Centre is to check out the bak chor mee.

Upon my arrival, I realized that I had forgotten the unit number and name of the stall. I began looking around at the signboards, searching for one that offers the dish. It did not take me long to find it and I promptly ordered a bowl.

After taking a few pictures, I began to dig in eagerly. However, a few mouthfuls later, I started questioning myself the reason for including this stall on my list. Do not get me wrong; the taste is decent but the ingredients are hardly rave-worthy for me.

I took out my list to verify only to discover that... I had actually gone to the wrong stall!

I am supposed to go to 51 Minced Meat Noodle but I had mistaken Da San Yuan for it instead. Well, my bad. I had not expected that there would be more than one bak chor mee stall at the food centre.

Apart from bak chor meeDa San Yuan also sell fish ball noodle, mini pot noodle and laksa.

bak chor mee, da san yuan, da san yuan bak chor mee, 大三圆, 肉挫面, 肉脞面, 肉脞麵, food, food review, review, singapore, yishun, yishun park hawker centre,

The bak chor mee ($4.50) come with the usual minced meat, fish cake, stewed mushrooms, lettuce and two different kinds of balls in the soup. 

I enjoyed having stewed mushrooms in my bak chor mee but I was disheartened to find only two thin slices in the bowl. To add insult to injury, the mushroom slices were as dry as a bone. 

They have probably not been reconstituted long enough in water thus not as succulent as I would have liked. 

Thankfully, they make up for the lack of mushrooms with a generous serving of fresh minced meat which clung onto the strands of mee pok with every bite. 

bak chor mee, da san yuan, da san yuan bak chor mee, 大三圆, 肉挫面, 肉脞面, 肉脞麵, food, food review, review, singapore, yishun, yishun park hawker centre,

In the bowl of flavorful soup were a conical-shaped fish ball and a pork ball. This two balls together with fish ball, formed the Chinese name of this stall Da San Yuan (大三圆).

I supposed this trio of balls are their selling point since they are important enough to have the stall named after them.

bak chor mee, da san yuan, da san yuan bak chor mee, 大三圆, 肉挫面, 肉脞面, 肉脞麵, food, food review, review, singapore, yishun, yishun park hawker centre,

This is the fish ball with fish roe in it. After I bit off the pointy part, I could feel the tiny roe spreading all over my tongue but that's about it.

bak chor mee, da san yuan, da san yuan bak chor mee, 大三圆, 肉挫面, 肉脞面, 肉脞麵, food, food review, review, singapore, yishun, yishun park hawker centre,

Next, the pork ball is filled with pork filling inside. It is similar like the Fuzhou fish balls except this is made of pork inside and out.

This bak chor mee does not come with any fish ball.

In all honesty, I do not find the balls having any particularly interesting taste profile. Instead of these fancy balls, I would rather have pig's liver and pork slices.

bak chor mee, da san yuan, da san yuan bak chor mee, 大三圆, 肉挫面, 肉脞面, 肉脞麵, food, food review, review, singapore, yishun, yishun park hawker centre,

The saving grace would be the mee pok and minced pork in the tasty tossing sauce. Now, if only there are chee yau char (crispy pork lard) to complement the noodle. Chee yau char is crucial to bak chor mee but I failed to find any in my bowl.

For the same price, I could get a bowl of bak chor mee with better quality ingredients (check out Huang Da Fu Minced Meat Noodle at Commonwealth Crescent Market & Food Centre). I understand there are deciding factors like location, rental and inflation but, as consumers, we will always go to the one who can give us more bang for our buck, isn't it?

bak chor mee, da san yuan, da san yuan bak chor mee, 大三圆, 肉挫面, 肉脞面, 肉脞麵, food, food review, review, singapore, yishun, yishun park hawker centre,

Yishun Park Hawker Centre have developed its own app called the "Tuck Shop" that allow customers to make cashless payments.

Download the app to your mobile phone, top up your account with credits via the machines at the hawker centre and you can now pay for your meal by scanning the QR code on your screen with the scanner at the respective stalls.

You will receive both a hard copy receipt from the hawker and a digital one in your app. You will also be able to check your past transactions and monitor the credits you have left in your account.

The price for this bowl is $4.50 but I only had to pay $4.05 with 10% off simply by using the Tuck Shop app.


DA SAN YUAN 大三园 
Yishun Park Hawker Centre
51 Yishun Avenue 11
#01-15
Singapore 768867

Business Hours
Fri - Wed: 7am - 9pm
Close: Thu



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach