Seng Heng Braised Duck @ Redhill Market & Food Centre

braised duck, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre, seng heng, seng heng braised duck, singapore, 卤鸭面, 成兴, 成兴福建卤鸭面, 福建, 福建卤鸭,

Seng Heng Braised Duck is one of those stalls at Redhill Market & Food Centre that is only opened for a couple of hours in the morning before they are sold out for the day. 

I made a trip here for their duck noodle previously but they were already closed when I got there at 11am.

This time round, I specially planned to arrive earlier to make sure I lay my hands on a bowl of their duck noodle. 

How early? This early

braised duck, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre, seng heng, seng heng braised duck, singapore, 卤鸭面, 成兴, 成兴福建卤鸭面, 福建, 福建卤鸭,

You have the option of rice, kway teow (flat rice noodle) or yellow noodle with your duck meat. I ordered the regular portion ($3.50) of duck noodle. When my order was ready, the guy who took my order asked if I wanted chili and proceeded to mix in a scoop for me. Then, the duck meat goes on top followed by a sprinkling of fried shallots.

For the price, the portion seem decent enough to keep me satiate. One thing I noticed is that there is no sign of any vegetable save for a few sprigs of coriander.

A handful of bean sprouts would be great.

braised duck, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre, seng heng, seng heng braised duck, singapore, 卤鸭面, 成兴, 成兴福建卤鸭面, 福建, 福建卤鸭,

Their opening hours is stated as 7.30am but when I reached the stall just slightly after 7am, they are already opened for business.

It is a flurry of action inside the stall with everyone busy with their allocated tasks. There is one taking orders, one chopping ducks non-stop, one scooping rice or parboiling noodles depending on the order, etc.

Turnover rate for the braised ducks are so fast they do not even bother hanging any in the display cabinet since they won't stay long in there anyway.

braised duck, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre, seng heng, seng heng braised duck, singapore, 卤鸭面, 成兴, 成兴福建卤鸭面, 福建, 福建卤鸭,

The duck meat came deboned which make for easier eating however, I find the chewy texture of the meat too lean for my liking.

braised duck, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre, seng heng, seng heng braised duck, singapore, 卤鸭面, 成兴, 成兴福建卤鸭面, 福建, 福建卤鸭,

The yellow noodles are unevenly cooked as some parts were stiffer than the rest. I suspect they threw the clump of noodles straight into the vat of boiling water without loosening them.

There is simply too much chili oil in my bowl of noodles. Other than the heat from the chili, I could hardly discern any other flavors like the lor. I wondered if the chili oil has drowned out all the other flavors?

A bowl of herbal soup came with my order. I usually finish my soup to the last drop but I guess I did not like it enough to finish it.

Honestly, I am perplexed by the glowing reviews online which was what got me all excited about it in the first place however, seeing the perpetual crowd queuing up for it means they are doing something right. Perhaps, it will grow on me if I have a few more bowls?

Till then. my vote for the best braised duck noodle still go to Heng Huat Boon Lay Boneless Duck Noodle at Boon Lay Place Food Village.

braised duck, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre, seng heng, seng heng braised duck, singapore, 卤鸭面, 成兴, 成兴福建卤鸭面, 福建, 福建卤鸭,


SENG HENG BRAISED DUCK 成兴福建卤鸭面
Redhill Market & Food Centre
85 Redhill Lane
#01-28
Singapore 150085

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 7.30am - 11.30am



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach