Redhill Porridge @ Redhill Market & Food Centre

redhill porridge, 红山粥, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre,singapore,pork porridge,fish porridge,

In the previous post, I mentioned that I visited Redhill Market & Food Centre early in the morning to have my duck noodle at Seng Heng Braised Duck.

As there is still some time before they open for the day, I decided to check out this porridge stall called Redhill Porridge which is another one of those stall that closes super early.

If you are appalled by the duck noodle stall's four short operating hours, then this porridge stall will shock you further with their three and a half hours before they are sold out. Of course, this is not taking their prep time into consideration.

Now it makes perfect sense why some of the stalls here are perpetually closed whenever I am there in the afternoon. Either they close really early, or they open late.

redhill porridge, 红山粥, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre,singapore,pork porridge,fish porridge,

This porridge stall offers Hainanese-styled porridge ($3/$4) with either pork or fish options. You can add an egg for extra 50¢.

When I got there, I was bemused to see people queuing in front of the stall before the shutters were even up. I became one of those people.

The shutters went up shortly after I joined the queue and it did not take long for me to reach the front of the stall. I ordered a bowl of pork porridge to warm myself up from the chilly morning.

Spring onions and fried shallots were sprinkled lavishly on my porridge by the friendly auntie.

redhill porridge, 红山粥, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre,singapore,pork porridge,fish porridge,

The pork porridge is generous with pork ingredients like pig's liver, sliced pork and minced pork balls.

Unlike Cantonese porridge, the consistency of Hainanese porridge is not as silky smooth. The rice may seemed to have totally disintegrated, but I could still feel traces of the grains in my mouth.

This is a tasty bowl of porridge but the addition of tung choi (preserved vegetable) made it a little salty.

redhill porridge, 红山粥, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre,singapore,pork porridge,fish porridge,

The pig's liver is extremely creamy while the tenderness divine. It was cooked to the point when it has just turned pink without any visible blood.

redhill porridge, 红山粥, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre,singapore,pork porridge,fish porridge,

The moderately sliced pork was of a good thickness that provided some bite. It has this velvety texture which I believed is achieved with the addition of corn starch.

redhill porridge, 红山粥, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre,singapore,pork porridge,fish porridge,

The well-seasoned pork balls are like little flavor bombs. I think tung choi was also added in the pork mixture. I feel they should only add tung choi to either the porridge or the pork balls. The saltiness is a little overkill here.

I overheard the customer behind me requesting for a "less salty" bowl of porridge. Now I understand why.


The day was just breaking when I left the food centre with a full and satisfied tummy.

redhill porridge, 红山粥, redhill, redhill food centre, redhill market & food centre,singapore,pork porridge,fish porridge,


REDHILL PORRIDGE 红山粥
Redhill Market & Food Centre
85 Redhill Lane
#01-90
Singapore 150085

Business Hours
Tue - Sat: 6.30am - 10am
Closed: Sun/Mon



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach