Thye Hong Fried Hokkien Mee 泰丰炒福建虾面

Thye Hong Hokkien Mee

Fried Hokkien Mee (or simply Fried Prawn Noodles), is a popular local dish well-liked by many Singaporeans and tourists alike.

With a mixture of thick rice noodles and yellow egg noodles, this noodle dish is first fried over a high flame then stewed in a savory broth till the sauce seep into the noodles.

Throw in some prawns and bits of squid then dish it on a plate (preferably with a Opeh leaf in between) with some sambal and a lime by the side and there you have it, a scrumptious serving of Fried Hokkien Mee.

When it comes to Hokkien Mee, Thye Hong is a household name, having been in the business for the last forty years.

Beginning with a humble stall at Newton Hawker Centre during the 1970s, it has now expanded into a chain store with many outlets at Food Republic - an air-conditioned food court.

Whenever I am in town, I would usually go to Food Republic at 313 Somerset for my Hokkien Mee fix.

However, having been there a couple of times, I realized the quality control is not that consistent.

Sometimes it is good, yet at times, it could be a little lacking in terms of taste. 

I guess that is inevitable when you set up branches and hire people cook for you. In my opinion, no amount of coaching could ever replicate the real deal. Ever.

This was from the previous visit

As mentioned earlier, the standard of the Hokkien Mee at 313 Somerset were inconsistent though I am not too sure about the situation at the other branches.

During my previous visit, the prawns were fresh and succulent but the prawns from my latest visit a few days ago were smaller and obviously overcooked.

I guess it really depends on your luck whether you would get a good plate of Thye Hong Fried Hokkien Mee at 313 Somerset.

The portion here comes in $4.80, $6.80 and $8.80 respectively. Rather pricey for local fare if you ask me.

Other than Hokkien Mee, Thye Hong also specialize in Char Kway Teow and Oyster Omelette which I have yet to try.


THYE HONG HOKKIEN MEE
Food Republic @ 313 Somerset
313 @ Somerset
Level 5
Singapore 238895