Chicken House - Succulent Yellow Skinned Kampong Chicken @ Kilat Court

singapore,food review,food,review,17 lorong kilat,kilat court,chicken house,kampong chicken,chicken rice,

I have always been intrigued by the yellow skinned poached chickens from Hong Kong that I often see on tv and I am glad to have found one not too far from my place. 

Located in a coffee shop called Chicken House at Kilat Court along Lorong Kilat, I am not sure if the chickens here are the same or even comparable to the ones from Hong Kong. Nevertheless, compared to the pale looking ones which we have been enjoying for years, this felt like a breathe of fresh air. 

I ordered to takeaway a ji wei fan (鸡尾饭) which is basic[ally the part from the butt to the thigh area. This portion is generally smoother and juicier than say, the breast. 

However, I was told that they have run out of ji wei and if drumstick is okay. Well, I am more than happy to oblige but the price seems a little steep at $4.70. 

A mini tub of garlic chili and dark soya sauce were included alongside my pack of chicken rice.

singapore,food review,food,review,17 lorong kilat,kilat court,chicken house,kampong chicken,chicken rice,

The selling point of Chicken House is their kampong (free-range) chicken which are less fatty and thus healthier to consume. 

Such chickens are not very commonly available so if you prefer a guilt-free chicken rice experience, this is for you. 

Indeed, there is literally no trace of visible fat underneath the thin layer of that marvelous yellow chicken skin. 

I have always thought that kampong chickens are lean and tough due to their regular "workouts" however, my drumstick was succulent and flavorful.

Perhaps, the breast would be a different story altogether? I will have to find that out during my next visit. 

Oh, and I still have not found out the reason behind the color of their skin. Was it the way kampong chickens are raised that gave them that yellow skin? 

singapore,food review,food,review,17 lorong kilat,kilat court,chicken house,kampong chicken,chicken rice,

On the other hand, I like how the rice is not overly greasy or clumpy. The texture is firm with a nutty flavor, accentuated with chicken stock. Some felt that the rice is lacking in flavors but I find it pleasant enough to eat on its own.

singapore,food review,food,review,17 lorong kilat,kilat court,chicken house,kampong chicken,chicken rice,

Although this is a "chicken house", they also serve a limited menu of cooked-to-order dishes such as oyster vegetable and prawn rolls.

Even though the premise is a non air-conditioned coffee shop, the interior is clean, breezy and spacious. 

singapore,food review,food,review,17 lorong kilat,kilat court,chicken house,kampong chicken,chicken rice,


CHICKEN HOUSE
Kilat Court
17 Lorong Kilat
#01-01
Singapore 598139

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 10.30am - 7.30pm