Zhen Wang Family Restaurant - Nameless Braised Duck Rice @ Bukit Timah Plaza

singapore,food review,food,review,singapore,bukit timah plaza,zhen wang family restaurant,braised duck rice,braised duck,bukit timah,1 jalan anak bukit

Update: Zhen Wang Family Restaurant has permanently closed.

I cannot believe what a dork I have been, letting such a gem of a braised duck rice slipping by under my nose all these years! 

Bukit Timah Plaza has been my childhood playground since the Yaohan era but I have never noticed this Zhen Wang Family Restaurant before. 

It was not until recently that I learned of this nameless duck rice stall located inside the eatery on a social media post. I was scratching my head over the existence of this place wondering why I have never seen it before despite claims that it has been there for over twenty years?

I went down to take a look and I found out why.

I have always entered the building through the entrance under Anak Bukit Flyover and would head straight for the escalator to go down to B2 where Yaohan, Wishbone and Waffle Town are. 

The eatery is located at the far end near the escalator side on B1 where I admittedly have never ever turned to look in that direction before. 

My habit upon reaching Bukit Timah Plaza is to head to B2 because that is where all my favorite shops are.

Come to think of it, I hardly go to the other floors where the maid agencies, tuition centre, music school and other specialty shops are. 

This explains why I have not seen or even heard of Zhen Wang Family Restaurant.

singapore,food review,food,review,singapore,bukit timah plaza,zhen wang family restaurant,braised duck rice,braised duck,bukit timah,1 jalan anak bukit

Run by a husband and wife team, the stall serves braised duck, roasted duck, roasted chicken, char siew and roasted pork.

I ordered a packet of braised duck rice ($3.80) to take away with the uncle, opting for white rice over yam rice. As they sell chicken rice as well, their white rice is 油饭 instead of plain white rice.

The rice is fragrant but not oily.

singapore,food review,food,review,singapore,bukit timah plaza,zhen wang family restaurant,braised duck rice,braised duck,bukit timah,1 jalan anak bukit

The duck meat is deboned and chopped into thin strips for easy eating. 

Popping a piece of meat in my mouth, I am delighted by how tenderly smooth it is. The braised duck at some places are coarse and fibrous but the one here is succulent.

The sauce drenched over the rice is the sweet type. 

I realized that I am not too fond of savory sauce. 

Now, this is the style of braised duck rice that I like. 

singapore,food review,food,review,singapore,bukit timah plaza,zhen wang family restaurant,braised duck rice,braised duck,bukit timah,1 jalan anak bukit

My only gripe is the absence of cucumber and sambal.

I cannot wait to return to dine in at the eatery because they have herbal soup and I want to try that.

This stall does not have much social media presence and is rather under the radar despite having been featured by Seth Lui before.

singapore,food review,food,review,singapore,bukit timah plaza,zhen wang family restaurant,braised duck rice,braised duck,bukit timah,1 jalan anak bukit

singapore,food review,food,review,singapore,bukit timah plaza,zhen wang family restaurant,braised duck rice,braised duck,bukit timah,1 jalan anak bukit


ZHEN WANG FAMILY RESTAURANT
Bukit Timah Plaza
1 Jalan Anak Bukit
Bukit Timah Road
#B1-47
Singapore 588996

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 11am - 9pm