Mei Xi's Kitchen Hakka Yong Tau Foo @ Blk 28 Jalan Bukit Merah

singapore,food review,meixi hakka yong tau foo,blk 28 jalan bukit merah,hawker,meixi's kitchen,美茜手工客家酿豆腐,

Meixi's Kitchen Hakka Yong Tau Foo has been around since 1986 with more than 14 outlets scattered around the country. I went to the outlet at Blk 28 Jalan Bukit Merah, which is a stone's throw from ABC Market & Food Centre.

I am not going to lie but I was attracted by its attractive neon signage (see last photo below) outside the stall.

singapore,food review,meixi hakka yong tau foo,blk 28 jalan bukit merah,hawker,meixi's kitchen,美茜手工客家酿豆腐,

The pricing here is $4.80 for five ingredients with either rice or noodle. I understand it used to be $4.20 for six ingredients with rice or noodle.

I picked five ingredients comprising of both deep fried and boiled ingredients with yellow noodle in soup. The deep fried items are refried and placed separately on a plate while the boiled ingredients remained in the bowl of noodle soup.

I helped myself to the condiments like chopped spring onion, sesame seeds, soybeans and sauces placed on the counter.

singapore,food review,meixi hakka yong tau foo,blk 28 jalan bukit merah,hawker,meixi's kitchen,美茜手工客家酿豆腐,

For the fried items, I picked a bunch of long beans wrapped in beancurd skin. I have not seen anything like this before so I took one to try. I am not a fan of long beans but I thought this would perhaps change my mind about the vegetable.

However, they were impossible to bite through so I had to eat it whole. That is when I felt plenty of oil oozing into my mouth as I chew on them. This item is unfortunately an oil trap.

Next, I picked what seemed like a meatball. The exterior is crunchy like a shell however, the filling inside felt a little pasty like a mixture of yam and minced meat. This is also something new to me and the texture is quite interesting.

The third item is a huge fried wanton with generous filling of minced meat. The excess folds of skin is savory and crispy.

singapore,food review,meixi hakka yong tau foo,blk 28 jalan bukit merah,hawker,meixi's kitchen,美茜手工客家酿豆腐,

The boiled ingredients are placed in the bowl together with the yellow noodle and soup.

When having yong tau foo, I would always pick tofu as a filler. The stall could be more generous with the thin layer of fish paste sandwiched in the middle though.

Similarly, the thinly sliced bitter gourd is smeared with just a thin layer of fish paste.

The generous portion of yellow noodle goes pretty well with the soup which is rich with the sweetness of soybeans. The taste profile of the soup reminded me of the noodle soup from my primary school canteen.

Honestly, the ingredients did not impress me but the soup is what I would go back for.

singapore,food review,meixi hakka yong tau foo,blk 28 jalan bukit merah,hawker,meixi's kitchen,美茜手工客家酿豆腐,

The stall have a decent spread of ingredients to choose from. 

singapore,food review,meixi hakka yong tau foo,blk 28 jalan bukit merah,hawker,meixi's kitchen,美茜手工客家酿豆腐,

You can have your yong tau foo dry or in clear soup. There are also laksa, tom yum and even mala soup options for additional $1 top-up.

singapore,food review,meixi hakka yong tau foo,blk 28 jalan bukit merah,hawker,meixi's kitchen,美茜手工客家酿豆腐,


MEIXI'S KITCHEN HAKKA YONG TAU FOO 美茜手工客家酿豆腐
Detian Coffee Shop
Blk 28 Jalan Bukit Merah
Singapore 152028

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 24 hours



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach