Heng Kee Hainanese Curry Rice @ Blk 28 Hoy Fatt Road

singapore,curry chicken,food review,hainanese curry rice,braised cabbage,blk 28 hoy fatt road,braised pork,兴記海南咖喱饭,heng kee hainanese curry rice,

Update: Heng Kee Hainanese Curry Rice has permanently closed.

I have walked past this coffee shop at the foot of Blk 28 Hoy Fatt Road several times before when I walked from Redhill MRT to IKEA Alexandra, while cutting through Lengkok Bahru. However, I have never thought of checking this place out as ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre is just round the corner.

That is, until someone recently posted a photo of a plate of delicious looking Hainanese curry rice on Facebook linking to Heng Kee Hainanese Curry Rice which, according to Google map, is located inside this very coffee shop. When I Googled further, results revealed that it is permanently closed

That got me confused but I decided to go anyway, despite not knowing whether we are talking about the same location? Fortunately, I did not make a wasted trip and found what I came for - the Hainanese curry stall is still in business!

singapore,curry chicken,food review,hainanese curry rice,braised cabbage,blk 28 hoy fatt road,braised pork,兴記海南咖喱饭,heng kee hainanese curry rice,

It is a one man show here as the friendly uncle cook and serve all by himself. I ordered a plate of rice with curry chicken drumstick, braised pork and cabbage for a mere $5. 

As uncle was busy chopping up my meats and splashing sauces on my rice, he told me to put the money in the bucket and get the change myself. He did not even took one look if I had taken more than I should. Such trusting nature! 

He was so attentive that he asked if I wanted just a little sauce or a lot of it and I could always come back for more if it is not enough.

singapore,curry chicken,food review,hainanese curry rice,braised cabbage,blk 28 hoy fatt road,braised pork,兴記海南咖喱饭,heng kee hainanese curry rice,

The large curry chicken drumstick is tender and fragrant with the spices of curry. Uncle even went as far as deboning it for me so it would be easier to eat. The spiciness of the curry sauce was mild with a hint of coconut milk. 

The cabbage, on the other hand, is stewed too soft for my liking.

singapore,curry chicken,food review,hainanese curry rice,braised cabbage,blk 28 hoy fatt road,braised pork,兴記海南咖喱饭,heng kee hainanese curry rice,

As for the braised pork, uncle asked if I wanted it fatty or lean to which I requested for 半肥瘦.

This curry rice is certainly value for money because uncle actually chopped the entire slab of braised pork into slices and placed them all onto my plate. The lean parts are not tough while the fatty parts are melt-in-the-mouth tender.

He also scooped some braised tau kwa from another container onto my plate which I did not ask for. I am not sure if it comes with the braised pork or he simply wanted to give me extra. I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the most flavorful tau kwa I have ever eaten.

I have to mention again that uncle's curry rice is really affordable with generous portion given but his stall is not getting the footfall he deserved probably due to covid19 and competition from the nearby ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre.

It does not help that his stall is almost invisible on Google due to the "permanently closed" status.

Now, I wonder who is the joker that submitted false information to Google? Anyway, I have updated Google and the status of the stall is now set to "open".

The pin on the map is still wrong though although the address is correct. The pin should be at the same location as Istimewa Nasi Padang. The coffee shop is just diagonally across the road from CPIB under Blk 28 Hoy Fatt Road.

That is uncle (photo below) sitting in front of his stall waiting for customers. A tinge of sadness overwhelms me as I was taking that photo.

Do drop by to support uncle if you are nearby for good affordable food and service. I am not sure what time he opens but I heard that he closes around 1 or 2pm.

singapore,curry chicken,food review,hainanese curry rice,braised cabbage,blk 28 hoy fatt road,braised pork,兴記海南咖喱饭,heng kee hainanese curry rice,


HENG KEE HAINANESE CURRY RICE 兴記海南咖喱饭
Hoy Fatt 28
Blk 28 Hoy Fatt Road
Singapore 151028

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: Till 2pm



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach