Tiong Bahru Estate: A Walk Through Time

That low rise building was where my Grandparents' flat once stood
My Grandparents used to reside at Jalan Membina before their old flat was demolished and redeveloped into what you see today. That was a long time ago and it was way before Tiong Bahru Plaza was even built.

During that time, we would visit my Grandparents every weekend and I remembered I could see CK Tangs Tower in the distance right from the corridor.

Other than linking Tiong Bahru with childhood memories, one other thing that attracts me was it's architecture.

Well, I am no architect but I do notice the characteristics of the flats here are no taller than five storeys high, comes with rounded balconies (which is actually the staircase), and they are very, very symmetrical.

Tiong Bahru Post Office at Blk 28
Global Residence - boarding houses for expats
Blk 57 Eng Hoon Street
(Watch out for my next entry for Loo's Hainanese Curry Rice reviews!)

Blk 72 Seng Poh Road
Blk 71 Seng Poh Road
One of the ground floor unit at Blk 72
Another ground floor unit at Blk 72
Guan Chuan Street
I love the rounded corners!

Moh Guan Terrace
Blk 48 Moh Guan Terrace
Blk 50 Moh Guan Terrace
One of the blocks along Lim Liak Street
Kim Cheng Street
Do you know the various streets in Tiong Bahru are name after local Chinese pioneers of the 1800s to 1900s?

The popular Tiong Bahru bird arena
Tiong Bahru was once famed for it's bird-singing corner where bird lovers gather every morning with their prized song birds as they share their day in between sips of coffee or over a game of chess.

Unfortunately, the bird arena was tore down and although it was rebuilt a few years later, the same familiar scene could never be seen again.

Does anyone know what happened to those bird lovers? Did they ventured elsewhere for their bird-singing activities? Why did they not return?

The bird arena has definitely seen better days
Kah Mee Optical
Does anyone recall watching that Kah Mee Optical commercial on Channel 8? You know, that low budget one with the goldfish and corny music?

Seng Poh Road, Tiong Bahru Road and Zion Road junction
I enjoy walking through this quaint neighborhood on foot and taking in the nolstalgic charm which no other estate could offer.

The pre-war houses here were built since 1948 and as I walk around appreciating the beauty of it all, I almost felt like I was transported back in time. 

Like what many Tiong Bahru fans wishes for, I hope this area could be conserved and not made to vanish with time all in the name of development.

Heritage and culture once lost could never be found again.

The bird arena is one fine example...

No comments: