Feng Zhen Lor Mee @ Taman Jurong Market & Food Centre

鳳珍鹵麵,singapore,feng zhen lor mee,food review,review,taman jurong market & food centre,lor mee,food,

My last visit to Taman Jurong Market & Food Centre was probably more than two decades ago. I vaguely recall that it is a single-storey food centre then with no market.

The food centre today is a five-storey building after undergoing reconstruction in 2005. It comprises of a wet market on the ground floor while the food centre is relocated to the second and third floor. A car park providing parking facilities took up the remaining two levels on top.

I am here to check out Feng Zheng Lor Mee which is said to serve one of the best lor mee in the West. I have been yearning to give them a try after learning about them years ago.

They have a couple of other outlets all run by family members. I have tried the daughter's stall at Yew Tee and the grandchildren's stall at Clementi and Choa Chu Kang numerous times however, I have yet to try the grandmother's stall here at Taman Jurong.

鳳珍鹵麵,singapore,feng zhen lor mee,food review,review,taman jurong market & food centre,lor mee,food,

I thought it was my lucky day when I did not see the snaking queue that the stall is reputed for but little did I know, the line has stretched all the way to the neighboring stall behind them out of sight

Luckily, all it took was about twenty minutes for me to reach the front of the line to order a bowl of lor bee hoon ($4). Prawn noodle, laksa and fish ball noodle are on the menu as well but the crowd favorite here is still their lor mee.

My bowl of lor bee hoon is generous with toppings like shredded fish meat and their popular fried meat balls along with the usual suspects such as lor bak, fish cake and hard boiled egg.

鳳珍鹵麵,singapore,feng zhen lor mee,food review,review,taman jurong market & food centre,lor mee,food,

The viscosity of the lor is thick but not lumpy with starch. The braising sauce is well seasoned and  flavorful on its own. Most people would probably enjoy it as it is but I, on the other hand, like to spam plenty of minced garlic and the all important black vinegar.

Given a choice, I would require at least a tablespoon of minced garlic and two tablespoons of black vinegar however, I was unable to help myself to the condiments as someone is stationed there to help you with these. The amount given was meager despite asking for more

Without a doubt, Feng Zhen Lor Mee is one of the better ones around but it would be wonderful if  they could give us free rein with the condiments so we could customize it the way we like it.

Personally, my ideal lor mee is one that is heavy with the pungency of garlic and sourness of black vinegar. Without these, my lor mee is soul-less.

鳳珍鹵麵,singapore,feng zhen lor mee,food review,review,taman jurong market & food centre,lor mee,food,

The apple does not fall far from the tree. The style of the daughter and grandchildren's lor mee are similar since they branch out from the same source however, there are still some differences:
  • The grandmother and grandchildren's stalls uses shredded batang fish while the daughter's stall uses battered fish meat
  • The daughter and grandchildren's stalls allow free access to the condiments while the grandmother's stall does not.

鳳珍鹵麵,singapore,feng zhen lor mee,food review,review,taman jurong market & food centre,lor mee,food,

Among the three generations of lor mee I have tried, my vote goes to the daughter as her version is the only one that made me moan out loud at first bite. 

The grandmother's lor mee is buay pai too if you appreciate your lor mee without additional aromatics.


鳳珍鹵麵,singapore,feng zhen lor mee,food review,review,taman jurong market & food centre,lor mee,food,


FENG ZHEN LOR MEE 鳳珍鹵麵
Taman Jurong Market & Food Centre
3 Yung Sheng Road
#03-146
Singapore 618499

Business Hours
Thu - Tue: 5am - 3pm
Closed: Wed



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach