Ma Bo Lor Mee @ Hong Lim Market & Food Centre

孖宝卤面,孖宝,hong lim,food,hong lim food centre,singapore,卤面,ma bo lor mee,food review,麻坡,review,lor mee,麻坡卤面,hong lim market & food centre,蔴坡蔴坡卤面

There used to be a Ma Bo Lor Mee stall located near my place. I liked their lor mee so much that I would patronized them about two or three times a week. I was devastated when the stall closed. Although there have many outlets across Singapore, I have not had any ever since.

After a hiatus of so many years, I came across an outlet at Hong Lim Market & Food Centre. I decided to relive the taste of the lor mee that I used to adore. 

You can have their lor mee in three ways: signature ($2.50/$3.50), with fried battered fish ($3/$4) or fried chicken cutlet ($3/$4). Laksa is also available in the same permutations and pricing. I could not recall if laksa is a new addition to the menu or did they have it all along?

Previously, I would only order their chicken cutlet lor mee therefore this time, I decided to have the fried fish lor mee instead.

孖宝卤面,孖宝,hong lim,food,hong lim food centre,singapore,卤面,ma bo lor mee,food review,麻坡,review,lor mee,麻坡卤面,hong lim market & food centre,蔴坡蔴坡卤面

I ordered the regular bowl ($3) that come with four pieces of fried fish, half a hard-boiled egg and flat Hokkien noodle in a bowl of lor

The condiments are self service here so you could help yourself to the black vinegar, sambal chili and grated garlic however, the lady had her eyes on me causing me to be a bit restrained with the helpings. 

孖宝卤面,孖宝,hong lim,food,hong lim food centre,singapore,卤面,ma bo lor mee,food review,麻坡,review,lor mee,麻坡卤面,hong lim market & food centre,蔴坡蔴坡卤面

Despite that, I still managed to get a spoonful of each of the condiments which fortunately hit the spot for me. The sharp, tangy notes of the black vinegar and pungent flavor of the grated garlic is why I loved having lor mee. 

The viscosity of the gravy is just nice without being too gloopy or runny and there are no lumps of undissolved starch. There are also egg ribbons in the gravy.

Unfortunately, I did not see any cut chili and coriander which I feel could further improve its taste profile.

I like how the fish meat encased within the crunchy batter is still piping hot. What an enjoyment it was to hear the batter go crunch as it gave way to your bite. Alas, the batter could not retain its crunchiness and turned soft while dipping in the gravy. 

By the way, you can add on more of the addictive fried fish for $1, $2 and $3.

孖宝卤面,孖宝,hong lim,food,hong lim food centre,singapore,卤面,ma bo lor mee,food review,麻坡,review,lor mee,麻坡卤面,hong lim market & food centre,蔴坡蔴坡卤面

The surface of the flat Hokkien noodle picked up the gravy very well. Also, the crunchy bean sprouts provided an alternate texture to the gummy mouthfeel of the noodle so there is no jelak-ness.

I realized I do not enjoy this lor mee as much as I used to. I mean, it is decent but there are better ones out there. 

Perhaps, through the years I have discovered other notable lor mee that come with more ingredients for about the same price like Wei Nan Wang Hock Kian Lor Mee at Market Street Interim Hawker Centre, Shi Ji Noodle Stall at Seah Im Food Centre and Shun Li Ah Ma Lor Mee at Redhill Food Centre.

孖宝卤面,孖宝,hong lim,food,hong lim food centre,singapore,卤面,ma bo lor mee,food review,麻坡,review,lor mee,麻坡卤面,hong lim market & food centre,蔴坡蔴坡卤面


MA BO LOR MEE 孖寶蔴坡卤面
Hong Lim Market & Food Centre
531A Upper Cross Street
#02-05
Singapore 051531

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 10.30am - 3pm



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach