Meng Kee Fried Kway Teow @ Havelock Road Cooked Food Centre

char kway teow,singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,food review,meng kee fried kway teow,明記炒粿條,meng kee,havelock road,fried kway teow,blk 22a havelock road,

Update: Meng Kee Fried Kway Teow has relocated. The new address has been updated at the bottom of this post.

Right next to the entrance of the open air car park to Havelock Road Cooked Food Centre is a nondescript HDB coffee shop.

Every time I walked past it to get to the food centre, I see only a handful of customers around. Due to the lack of crowd here, I did not think much of the coffee shop and what it may have to offer.

Well, until one day when I saw someone having a mean-looking plate of char kway teow there. 

That prompted me to take a look inside the premises where Meng Kee Fried Kway Teow is located.

char kway teow,singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,food review,meng kee fried kway teow,明記炒粿條,meng kee,havelock road,fried kway teow,blk 22a havelock road,

Since there is only one person waiting in front of the stall, I decided to join the queue. However, the waiting time took longer than I expected and a short queue had already formed quietly behind me. I am not sure why it took so long when the person in front ordered only two plates. The people behind me and I subsequently received our order one after another.

My only guess is that they fry one big wok of the kway teow at one go, then dish out individual portions to customers.

My $4 fried kway teow comes with an alluring smokey aroma. It is also the wetter version that I like. I love how the softness of the kway teow is complemented by the crunchiness of the bean sprouts and lup cheong. There is a good amount of beaten eggs which adds enjoyment to the dish.

From what I found out, the stall has been around for decades and the daughter has taken over the reins of the wok from the parent. Obviously, I have not eaten the kway teow fried by the father before so I could not make a comparison if the standard was maintained.

char kway teow,singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,food review,meng kee fried kway teow,明記炒粿條,meng kee,havelock road,fried kway teow,blk 22a havelock road,

Nevertheless, this is a more than decent plate.

My only gripe is the measly amount of cockles given which are rather cooked. I would prefer having them semi-raw.

char kway teow,singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,food review,meng kee fried kway teow,明記炒粿條,meng kee,havelock road,fried kway teow,blk 22a havelock road,

char kway teow,singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,food review,meng kee fried kway teow,明記炒粿條,meng kee,havelock road,fried kway teow,blk 22a havelock road,

char kway teow,singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,food review,meng kee fried kway teow,明記炒粿條,meng kee,havelock road,fried kway teow,blk 22a havelock road,


MENG KEE FRIED KWAY TEOW 明記炒粿條
Wei Xuan Eating House
Blk 22 Havelock Road
#01-669
Singapore 161022

Business Hours
Mon - Fri: 10.30am - 7pm
Sun: 10.30am - 4pm


🠟🠟🠟NEW ADDRESS🠟🠟🠟
MENG KEE FRIED KWAY TEOW 明記炒粿條
Havelock Road Cooked Food Centre
Blk 22A Havelock Road
#01-07
Singapore 161022

Business Hours
Mon - Fri: 9am - 6pm
Closed: Sun

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/vzQk4Vc7heS2


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach