Covent Garden Prawn Noodle @ Havelock Road Cooked Food Centre

singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,prawn mee,prawn noodle,food review,havelock road,covent garden prawn noodle,哥文園蝦麵,blk 22a havelock road,

When I was researching about Havelock Road Cooked Food Centre, the prawn noodles of Covent Garden Prawn Noodle caught my attention.

Their noodles in the photos seemed so old school and alluring. I guess it's rightly so as the proprietor is a pair of elderly couple.

I have the tendency to patronize elderly hawkers because I choose to believe that they still make food out of passion like the good old days with a well-guarded recipe without cutting corners.

I hope to have a chance to taste such traditional flavors while I still can before their craft disappears with their demise. Also, consider it my way of supporting them to make a living.

The stall is closed for three days a week so I suppose they are not running the business out of necessity but rather, to keep themselves occupied. Of course, this is only speculation on my part.

I made it a point to arrive at the food centre before noon and there were only three customers in front of me. However, the waiting time still took a while despite everyone ordering single bowls.

The wait is due to the senior proprietor preparing orders in their own unhurried way so, do have a little patience to wait in line.

singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,prawn mee,prawn noodle,food review,havelock road,covent garden prawn noodle,哥文園蝦麵,blk 22a havelock road,

The stall offer prawn noodles in two sizes ($3/$4). You can add on pig's tail ($4) or pig's intestine ($4/$5).

My $5 bowl of dry prawn noodle with pig's intestine came with three de-shelled prawns, four sections of pig's intestine, slices of fish cake, pork loin and bean sprouts atop a generous mound of yellow noodles.

singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,prawn mee,prawn noodle,food review,havelock road,covent garden prawn noodle,哥文園蝦麵,blk 22a havelock road,

I gave the noodles a good tossing and the flavors smell legit.

The concoction of pork lard oil and chili sauce coating the noodles were decent though I find it a tad too oily.

I took a sip of the soup but find the crustacean flavors too light. I prefer it to be more intense.

I am glad I made the right decision to order the dry version as it is more flavorful than the soup one.

singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,prawn mee,prawn noodle,food review,havelock road,covent garden prawn noodle,哥文園蝦麵,blk 22a havelock road,

I like pig's intestine due to its chewy texture and this does not disappoint. I guess the intestine is well cleaned since there is no weird smell coming from it. I wished there is more of it!

The texture of  the prawns, on the other hand, feels a little overcooked.

singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,prawn mee,prawn noodle,food review,havelock road,covent garden prawn noodle,哥文園蝦麵,blk 22a havelock road,

Although the prawn noodle here falls short of my expectation, they do have a loyal following evident by the long queue in front of their stall.

Could it be possible that, since the food centre is located at a matured estate with majority of the population here being the elderly, the proprietor is trying to help everyone cut down on their sodium and sugar intake? 

😂😂😂

singapore,havelock road cooked food centre,prawn mee,prawn noodle,food review,havelock road,covent garden prawn noodle,哥文園蝦麵,blk 22a havelock road,


COVENT GARDEN PRAWN NOODLE 哥文園蝦麵
Havelock Road Cooked Food Centre
Blk 22A Havelock Road
#01-24
Singapore 161022

Business Hours
Fri - Mon: 9.30am - 7pm
Closed: Tues/Wed/Thu

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/vpKu1go7fdM2


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach