Master Tang's Pork Liver Congee @ Blk 233 Bukit Batok East Ave 5

singapore,food review,master tang,blk 233 bukit batok east  ave 5,pork liver congee,bukit batok,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,crystal jade

Update: Master Tang has permanently closed.

A year ago, I wrote about Master Tang who is running his own wanton mee business at Sixth Avenue. For the uninitiated, he is the ex-head chef of Crystal Jade.

Apparently, he has moved to Bukit Batok East Avenue 5 a couple of months ago.

I finally revisited him at his new location at a coffee shop under block 233 which is just one bus stop distance away from Bukit Batok Bus Interchange.

You can simply walk over or take a bus.

singapore,food review,master tang,blk 233 bukit batok east  ave 5,pork liver congee,bukit batok,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,crystal jade

This time, I decided to try his popular pork liver congee ($4). I placed an order for a bowl with Master Tang's wife who informed me there is a five minutes wait.

I proceeded to have a seat but it wasn't long before I heard her yelling “猪肝粥!猪肝粥!”, an indication that my order is ready for collection.

My congee was garnished with chopped spring onions and plenty of julienned ginger.

As I dug into my congee, I am surprised by how rich and velvety the texture is. The rice grains have dissolved into a gruel-like consistency that is achieved by hours of boiling.



I tried a spoonful and my senses went into a frenzy! I have never tasted such flavorful congee before. Any further addition of seasonings such as soy or white pepper is absolutely unnecessary.

singapore,food review,master tang,blk 233 bukit batok east  ave 5,pork liver congee,bukit batok,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,crystal jade

I was expecting the pork liver to be thinly sliced but on the contrary, they were in thick chunks instead.

The pork liver is fresh and crunchy while the powdery texture is indiscernible. Despite being submerged in the hot congee for a while (all that photo taking is hard work!), the pork liver remained supple.

Master Tang's 生滚粥 is laborious work. It is not simply boiling rice in a pot of water; it involves a lot of stirring and fire-control just to prevent the rice at the bottom from getting burnt.

That alone requires strength which may be too strenuous now for the 84 years old.

I know some porridge sellers take the easy way out by thickening their porridge with corn starch but the intact rice grains often sell them out.

I am surprised that apart from pork liver congee, the stall also have a variety of other congee ranging from century egg to meat balls and sliced fish.

These were not available when I last visited Master Tang at Sixth Avenue.

Master Tang may be famous for his noodle dishes but I liked his congee more.

singapore,food review,master tang,blk 233 bukit batok east  ave 5,pork liver congee,bukit batok,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,crystal jade

singapore,food review,master tang,blk 233 bukit batok east  ave 5,pork liver congee,bukit batok,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,crystal jade

This bus stop is two HDB blocks away from the coffee shop and these are the bus services for your reference.


MASTER TANG WANTON MEE 鄧師傅鳳城面家
Blk 233 Bukit Batok East Ave 5
Singapore 650233

Business Hours
Thu - Tue: 8am - 3pm
Wed: Closed



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach