Master Tang Wanton Noodle @ 10E Sixth Avenue

wanton mee,wanton noodle,singapore,10e sixth avenue,master tang,food review,sixth avenue,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,鄧師傅鳳城面家,kopitown coffeeshop,

Update: Master Tang Wanton Noodle has permanently closed.

During the Good Friday holiday, I decided to visit the newly opened Learning Forest at the Botanic Gardens. I took the downtown line and head towards Botanic Gardens station.

Along the way, I got off at Sixth Avenue station for breakfast at Bukit Timah Road. I am there looking for a certain Master Tang who used to be the head chef of Crystal Jade and is now running his own business at said location selling wanton noodle.

With this level of fame, I was expecting a huge turnout at his stall but unexpectedly, there is not a single soul at the coffee shop. On my way in, I saw the other coffee shop brimming with customers and long queues everywhere.

This coffee shop is the exact opposite of that coffee shop. I thought perhaps I was too early or maybe the stall is still not ready for business yet.

I approached the stall cautiously and I saw an elderly man wrapping wantons silently by the side while a lady was busy checking on the many simmering pots they had which were all screaming for attention at the same time.

That should be Master Tang with his Malaysian wife.

wanton mee,wanton noodle,singapore,10e sixth avenue,master tang,food review,sixth avenue,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,鄧師傅鳳城面家,kopitown coffeeshop,

I looked at the opening hours written on a piece of cardboard in front of the stall, then turned to my watch and realized that it is already an hour past the opening time.

The lady finally looked in my direction and I meekly ordered a plate of wanton noodle with her. While waiting for my order, another customer came up behind me.

I figured that he might be an old customer because they started greeting each other in Cantonese.

"Zou san" he said.
(Good morning)

"Zou san. Sek meh?" she replied.
(Morning. What would you like?)

"Bei ngo yat gor nam yu zhu sao meen"
(I want a pork knuckle noodle)

"Zhu sao zong mei hou" came the answer.
(The pork knuckle is not ready yet)

"Gam bei ngo yat gor gai geok meen"
(Then give me a chicken feet noodle)

"Gai geok yat yong zong mei hou"
(Chicken feet is also not ready yet)

"Gei si hou?"
(when will it be ready?)

"Zong yew boon gor zong tau. Sek dai yi yong ye lah
(Another 30 minutes. Eat something else?)

"Gam nei yao meh?"
(Then what do you have?)

"Wanton meen lor"
(Wanton noodle lor)

"Gam jiao bei ngo yat gor wanton meen
(Then give me wanton noodle)

I am trying hard to put on a straight face because their conversation actually reminded me of McDull.


Anyway, I digress!

My noodle took a while to be done and when they were ready, I helped myself to a small scoop of the sambal chili and pickled green chili.

The portion of the noodle was quite substantial and sitting in a concoction of soya sauce and oil. To have a taste of the noodles in the sauce, I gave it a quick toss without the chili and took a bite.

To my delight, I find the noodles very crunchy although I find the dressing too light for my liking. I then mixed in the sambal chili and things took a 360° turn. 

With the addition of the sambal chili, the flavors were instantly elevated to a whole new level!

I know Master Tang had the noodles specially made for his stall which are thinner than the usual mee kia. However, there is a slight alkaline smell which, fortunately, is not too noticeable.

wanton mee,wanton noodle,singapore,10e sixth avenue,master tang,food review,sixth avenue,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,鄧師傅鳳城面家,kopitown coffeeshop,

wanton mee,wanton noodle,singapore,10e sixth avenue,master tang,food review,sixth avenue,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,鄧師傅鳳城面家,kopitown coffeeshop,

True to Hong Kong-styled wanton noodle, this does not come with any char siew but five plump boiled wantons. Wrapped inside the wanton skin is minced pork and shrimp. One of my wantons, however, did a full monty as it came without the skin.

Strangely, I feel like I am eating siew mai instead of wanton.

wanton mee,wanton noodle,singapore,10e sixth avenue,master tang,food review,sixth avenue,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,鄧師傅鳳城面家,kopitown coffeeshop,
Not your usual wanton noodle chili

wanton mee,wanton noodle,singapore,10e sixth avenue,master tang,food review,sixth avenue,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,鄧師傅鳳城面家,kopitown coffeeshop,
Take only what you can finish

They say the Crystal Jade's wanton noodle is based on Master Tang's recipe but I do not see the hype behind it at all. I mean, I do like the sambal chili and the texture of the noodles but that is not the style of wanton noodle I like.

Or just maybe, since this is Hong Kong-styled, would the soup version fare better?

wanton mee,wanton noodle,singapore,10e sixth avenue,master tang,food review,sixth avenue,鳳城面家,鄧師傅,鄧師傅鳳城面家,kopitown coffeeshop,


MASTER TANG WANTON MEE 鄧師傅鳳城面家
Kopitown Coffeeshop
10E Sixth Avenue
Singapore 276474 

Business Hours
Fri - Wed: 8am - 4pm
Thu: Closed

GPS Coordinates: 1.3311719,103.7925806


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach