Hup Choon Eating House - Phoenix Tail Sui Kow Noodle @ 1 Binjai Park

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park, 

Hidden among the private estates along Dunearn Road lies a coffee shop called Hup Choon Eating House and inside, there is a nameless roast meats stall that operates from 7am till 3.30pm.

There isn't much info you can find regarding the stall though I can't say the same for the tze char stall that operates from the same coffee shop at night.

Anyway, I found out about this stall from a friend when she posted a beautiful sui kow (prawn dumpling) on FB. I have never seen a sui kow wrapped this way before so I decided to go see it for myself.

Once at the stall, I ordered a plate of sui kow mien (prawn dumpling noodle) and was told by the female server to take a seat.

When my order came, I had a bit of a surprise.

On my noodles lay a substantial amount of char siew (bbq meat). Sui kow mien don't usually come with char siew but apparently, they do here. Well, not that I am complaining.

The char siew are in thick chunks and come with some fats which is good. However, I cannot taste the char siew flavors under all that gooey sauce which they ladled over it.

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park,

Here are the beautiful prawn dumplings I was talking about and they have a even beautiful name called 鳯尾水饺 (phoenix tail sui kow).

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park,

Ain't it pretty?

I think it is quite creative of them to wrap their sui kow like this. So unique!

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park,

I carefully removed the skin and here's what we have underneath; a morsel of ground pork wrapped tightly around the prawn.

So how does it taste?

Frankly, I find it unmemorable. There is too much pepper in the seasoning and I cannot feel the crunch of the prawn. In case you are wondering, the prawn's shell has been peeled except for the tail which is sticking out of the dumpling.

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park,

As for the noodle, it is springy with a delectable bite. My only gripe is the gooey sauce. I prefer to have a simple concoction of light soy and pork lard oil when it comes to having dry noodle.

However, I have to give them credit for the portion given. The amount of char siew and noodle is really value for money at $4. Other than the vegetables on the noodle, there is even more vegetables in the bowl of soup where the sui kow are. Oh, and don't remind me about the soup. It came in a large bowl!

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park,

I like the soup which have a old-school taste to it. I have already drank half of it when the photo (above) was taken.

Don't take my words for it. Come try it out for yourself and tell me how you like it?

Taste is subjective after all.

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park,

The menu of what they sell in the morning. Pretty standard stuff found at a roast meats stall.

I am uncertain if those faded words 廣进烧腊 (Guang Jin Shao La) on the yellow signboard is its name?

singapore,sui kow,水饺面,food review,sui kow noodle,prawn dumpling noodle,水饺,hup choon eating house,prawn dumpling,food,1 binjai park,


HUP CHOON EATING HOUSE
Nameless Roast Stall
1 Binjai Park
Singapore 589818

Business Hours
Tue - Sun: 7.30am - 3.30pm
Closed: Mon

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/UAdEEPB4EjF2


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach