莆田菜馆 Putien @ Jurong Point

The Dead Cockroach

A very Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there!

We celebrated Father's Day two days ago at Putien over at their Jurong Point branch.

My parents and I were only informed by my sis about this dinner for Dads at the very last minute!

There were three Dads, by the way: my Dad, my brother-in-law and his Dad.

As my brother-in-law was the one wielding the credit card, he gets to call the shots and decided on the menu for the day.

The Dead Cockroach
Braised Pig Intestine 九转小肠 SGD 13.90

This is not your usual Kway Chup intestines.

If you look carefully, there are several layers inside the intestines. Perhaps that is why it is named "九转小肠" with the word "九" referring to the number 9.

Does it really have nine layers?

This seemed dry but the juices actually explode in your mouth when you chew on them!

OK, I'm exaggerating but it is that good!

The portion is a little small though - not enough to go around!

The Dead Cockroach
Putien Styled Century Egg 糖醋皮蛋 SGD 7.90

I am surprised that something as ordinary as a Century Egg could be presented as a dish itself.

I do not know how this was prepared but as it's chinese name suggests, sugar and vinegar were used in it's preparations.

I love Century Eggs and this is really appetising!

Again, the portion was a little small and not enough to go around.

The Dead Cockroach
 Organic Momotaro Tomato 有机番茄 SGD 4.90

Well, I do like tomatoes but their slimy seeds scares me.

Given a choice, I would never eat tomatoes on it's own unless it's cooked or sandwiched between two buns.

It happened to be one of those days that I was not given a choice.

I was pestered by Mum to give this organic tomato a try and after taking a bite out of the smallest piece just to appease her, I find myself instantly hooked!

It was very cooling and the sprinkling of sugar on top made this a very welcome dish!

The Dead Cockroach
  Fresh Water Bamboo with Sesame 麻酱茭白 SGD 7.90

This is a cold dish from Putien's "Summer Menu".

Fresh water bamboo, also known as wild rice stem, is nourishing and energizing.

Served with specially prepared sesame dressing, this dish is the perfect counter to the summer heat.

The Dead Cockroach
 Deep Fried Duck with Yam 芋香鸭 SGD 15.90

This was a innovative dish that I had for the first time.

Slices of duck were covered in a thick layer of yam and deep fried to crispiness but it is a pity that the yam drowned out the flavors of the duck within.

Even so, I have to say that the yam is really moist and smooth and good even on it's own.

The Dead Cockroach
 Putien Sweet & Sour Pork with Lychee 莆田荔枝肉 SGD 17.90

This was definitely one of the best Sweet & Sour Pork I ever had!

The pork was coated with the tangy tomato sauce and the Lychees just bring the flavors to a new level.

I wish there were more Lychees though.

The Dead Cockroach
 Spinach with Salted Egg & Century Egg in Superior Soup 上汤笕菜 SGD 19.90

This is one of my favorite dish.

I have ordered this from many places but it was still the first time that the soup was not clear broth.

Not that it mattered, of course, because this broth was "Superior Soup".

I have had many servings of this and I would have enjoyed it more if there were wolfberries in it.

The Dead Cockroach
 Homemade Beancurd 自制滑豆腐 SGD 13.90

This was recommeded by the staff as we have kids around.

The beancurd was fragrant and smooth and the kids do like it.

The Dead Cockroach
莆田农家擦粉 Putien Chi Fun SGD 13.90

Everyone find this bland so Dad asked for black vinegar.

The taste improved a little and reminds me of Sharks Fin Soup due to it's gooey texture.

Unfortunately, this dish is quite forgettable.

The Dead Cockroach
 Winter Melon with White Fungus & Mushroom 冬瓜藏珍 SGD 19.90

Another dish from the "Summer Menu".

I love how exquisitely this dish was arranged to resemble some royal dish fit only for the royalties.

My brother-in-law ordered this for my nephew to 'cool' down as he has been quite heaty lately.

This was a refreshingly light dish considering all the ingredients are on the bland side.

I believe this is good for clearing toxins from the body system.

The Dead Cockroach
Fried "Hing Hwa" Bee Hoon 兴化米粉 SGD 23.90

Finally, the signature dish of "Hing Hwa" cuisine that I have heard so much about on TV culinary programmes!

The bee hoon was very thin and refine and have absorbed the flavors of the ingredients. I think I finished  most of this by myself!

Somehow, the taste reminded me fondly of CQYT (Chu Qian Yi Ding) Bee Hoon.

The Dead Cockroach

 I liked the menu design and the chilli pot below!

The Dead Cockroach

PUTIEN RESTAURANT 莆田菜馆
1 Jurong West Central 2 #02-34
Jurong Point Shopping Centre S(648886)
Tel: 6795 2338

No comments: