Old Bukit Purmei Lor Mee - Now Run By The Third Generation! @ Blk 269 Queen Street

singapore,food review,food,review,blk 269 queen street,bukit purmei lor mee,lor mee,tiong bahru lor mee,武吉宝美卤面

The last time I wrote about my favorite Bukit Purmei Lor Mee was in February 2016. I was ecstatic then because they have finally reopened a new stall at West Coast Drive after closing down their Bukit Purmei stall due to Uncle Teo's (stall owner) declining health. 

Unfortunately, my happiness was short-lived as they closed their business yet again for the very same reason. Since then, I have been seeking solace in Uncle Teo's sister's lor mee stall at Bukit Batok when the crave arises.

The sister's lor mee is not an exact replica of Uncle Teo's version but that is the closest I can get to combat any withdrawal symptoms.


Just two weeks ago, a sudden update on their dormant Facebook page brought wonderful news - they are making a comeback at Blk 269 Queen Street which is just within walking distance from Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple!

As mentioned in the post, the stall is succeeded by the third generation with a new branding (they have a logo now!) and using the same traditional recipe with the blessings of Uncle Teo.

I only managed to visit the stall at the end of the first week of their opening. The queue was already snaking out of the coffee shop when I arrived at about 9.30am. I queued for about 45 minutes before it reached my turn to order. 

It does not make sense for me to order the smallest bowl after such a long wait therefore, I ordered the largest bowl and opted for a mix of bee hoon and noodle.

singapore,food review,food,review,blk 269 queen street,bukit purmei lor mee,lor mee,tiong bahru lor mee,武吉宝美卤面

I helped myself to the condiments placed on the counter such as black vinegar, cut red chili and chili paste. Strangely, there was no minced garlic in sight.

I gave the bowl a thorough tossing and tears of joy almost streamed down my cheeks after I took a sip of the lor. The strong and intense flavors were how I remembered it to be. I do not understand why some feedback that the taste was "off"?

singapore,food review,food,review,blk 269 queen street,bukit purmei lor mee,lor mee,tiong bahru lor mee,武吉宝美卤面

Ingredients wise, there were the usual sliced lor bak, char siew and fish cake. Unfortunately, the crispy fried batter found in Uncle Teo's lor mee had been taken off the menu. Instead, they were replaced with handmade ngor hiang balls.

According to feedback on their Facebook, some found it hard but I beg to differ. Because everything in this bowl of lor mee was soft and gooey, I appreciate the chewy texture the ngor hiang ball gives.

singapore,food review,food,review,blk 269 queen street,bukit purmei lor mee,lor mee,tiong bahru lor mee,武吉宝美卤面

For $5, this was a hefty bowl of lor mee with generous portion of carbs. I am glad I opted for a mix of bee hoon and noodle because if it had been all noodle, that would be really jelak.

There were bits of complaints on their Facebook by customers pertaining to the long waiting time but I think that is to be expected as with all popular food especially one with such a long history and is making a comeback after so many years. 

singapore,food review,food,review,blk 269 queen street,bukit purmei lor mee,lor mee,tiong bahru lor mee,武吉宝美卤面

The third generation are working hard to preserve Uncle Teo's legacy. Let us give them a little support and compliments to keep them going so we could continue to have a superb bowl of heritage lor mee for generations to come.

singapore,food review,food,review,blk 269 queen street,bukit purmei lor mee,lor mee,tiong bahru lor mee,武吉宝美卤面


BUKIT PURMEI LOR MEE 武吉宝美卤面
QS 269 Food House
269 Queen Street
#01-236
Singapore 180269

Business Hours
Tue - Sun: 7.30am - 3.30pm
Closed: Mon



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach