Tiong Bahru Lor Mee @ Blk 155 Bukit Batok Street 11

中峇魯鹵麵,tiong bahru lor mee,singapore,food review,food,review,lor mee, tiong bahru,155 bukit batok street 11,

Ever since Uncle Teo's Bukit Purmei Lor Mee closed down three years ago, I have been unable to find another bowl of lor mee that comes anywhere close to his standard.

I might be biased but that is because I have eaten his family's lor mee since his mother's time at the former Seng Poh Road Market.

When I gotten news that his sister is running a lor mee stall at Bukit Batok, I knew I had to go give it a try.

It is self service here so you order, pay and wait to collect your order. I ordered a $4 bowl and opted for bee hoon. Once my order is ready, I helped myself to the black vinegar, chili paste and cut chili padi placed outside the stall.

中峇魯鹵麵,tiong bahru lor mee,singapore,food review,food,review,lor mee, tiong bahru,155 bukit batok street 11,

Unlike Uncle Teo's version where the ingredients are much more luxurious, his sister's lor mee only had char siew, a fried wanton and slices of fish cake. Her's did not even come with the fried crispy bits that her brother's had.

At first glance, the char siew looked like the uninspiring kind that is all lean and fibrous but surprisingly, it is so tender I could not stop eating it.

And when I bit into the mildly savory fried wanton, I realized the filling is not minced pork but fish paste instead.

As for the fish cake, they are quite generic thus not too memorable.

中峇魯鹵麵,tiong bahru lor mee,singapore,food review,food,review,lor mee, tiong bahru,155 bukit batok street 11,

Ingredients aside, what about the lor? Is it any good? I gave the bowl a thorough tossing to mix the condiments, particularly the two tablespoons of black vinegar which I added myself. And then I took a sip.

A surge of adrenaline shot through me as flashbacks of Uncle Teo's lor mee began to appear in my mind. Yes! That is the power lor zhup which I have been missing so much!

Even though the ingredients they used are vastly different, I would say the similarities of the lor is probably about 90%.

中峇魯鹵麵,tiong bahru lor mee,singapore,food review,food,review,lor mee, tiong bahru,155 bukit batok street 11,

I have been deprived of a good lor mee for a good three years that I am so happy I could again relish in the once familiar taste that I loved and missed so much!

There are two coffee shops located back to back under blk 155 so do not go to the wrong one. This lor mee stall is located at the more dingy looking coffee shop without a signboard.

Be forewarned to come early for a bowl because the stall will be closed shortly after the lunch hour ceased.

中峇魯鹵麵,tiong bahru lor mee,singapore,food review,food,review,lor mee, tiong bahru,155 bukit batok street 11,


TIONG BAHRU LOR MEE 中峇魯鹵麵
Yong Xing Coffee Shop
Blk 155 Bukit Batok Street 11
Singapore 650155

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 5.30am - 1.30pm

Website: https://www.facebook.com/originaltiongbahrulormee/

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/ZCPkomdRYzmAYAZNA


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach