Eng's Wantan Noodle @ Westgate

green bowl,eng's,singapore,wantan noodle,wanton mee,eng's wantan mee,food review,雲吞面,荣云吞面,云吞面,榮雲吞麵,wanton noodle,eng's wantan noodle,westgate,3 gateway drive

Fans of Eng's wantan noodle rejoice!

The famous green bowl wantan noodle has opened an outlet here in the West at Westgate! Apart from their main outlet at 287 Tanjong Katong Road, this is their third shopping mall outlet right after Eastpoint Mall and Ang Mo Kio Hub.

This is certainly good news to me as I already had plans to check them out but have been contemplating due to the inconvenient location. Instead of me going to them, they have now come to me! Saved me the trouble of traveling all the way to the East!

I visited their Eastpoint Mall outlet the week before but it was full with a long waiting queue outside the premises. As I did not have the patience to wait, I left.

On the other hand, this outlet at Westgate have hardly any customers when I visited on a Saturday morning. This latest outlet is only a week old and probably have not drummed up enough publicity with the residents here yet.

green bowl,eng's,singapore,wantan noodle,wanton mee,eng's wantan mee,food review,雲吞面,荣云吞面,云吞面,榮雲吞麵,wanton noodle,eng's wantan noodle,westgate,3 gateway drive

The wantan noodle come in two sizes ($4.50/$5.50) and I ordered the big bowl. 

It is self-service here so you can help yourself to the tub of crispy pork lard at the counter.

When I got to my table, I realised that something wasn't quite right. Where are my wantans? They are not with the noodles and they aren't in the soup. It couldn't be but I decided to look anyway and there they are, underneath the mound of noodles, soaking up in the sauce!

I believe they used pork lard oil as the base for their sauce because the noodles are so aromatic!

green bowl,eng's,singapore,wantan noodle,wanton mee,eng's wantan mee,food review,雲吞面,荣云吞面,云吞面,榮雲吞麵,wanton noodle,eng's wantan noodle,westgate,3 gateway drive

This is their legendary super hot chili. Be warned that a little goes a long way so squeeze with caution.

I regret adding the chili sauce to my wantan noodle not because of the heat but due to the chili overpowering the aroma and flavours of the noodle. I actually prefer the taste before I added the chili sauce.

The thicker-than-usual noodle is a little floury but still delicious nonetheless.

green bowl,eng's,singapore,wantan noodle,wanton mee,eng's wantan mee,food review,雲吞面,荣云吞面,云吞面,榮雲吞麵,wanton noodle,eng's wantan noodle,westgate,3 gateway drive

I like the wantan here. There is no offensive porky odour nor excessive use of pepper. The wantan skin is a tad thick but that means it is more resilient to breaking. As for the sweetish char siew, its not fantastic but still palatable than most out there.



green bowl,eng's,singapore,wantan noodle,wanton mee,eng's wantan mee,food review,雲吞面,荣云吞面,云吞面,榮雲吞麵,wanton noodle,eng's wantan noodle,westgate,3 gateway drive


ENG'S WANTAN NOODLE 榮雲吞麵
Westgate
3 Gateway Drive
B2-K8
Singapore 608532

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 10am - 9pm

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/UDxpDfxEDWS2


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach