No Signboard Braised Duck Rice Noodle Porridge @ Mei Ling Market & Food Centre

singapore,old school braised duck,mei ling market & food centre,food review,no signboard braised duck,braised duck,無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥,159 mei chin road

Update: No Signboard Braised Duck Rice Noodle Porridge has permanently closed.

While on the escalator going up to review Sweet.Rex on the second floor of Mei Ling Market & Food Centre, my nose caught a whiff of the lor (braised sauce) from the braised duck stall.

The aroma reminds me of the braised duck from my childhood. It has been a long time since I come across a braised duck that smells this similar to the one in my memory.

Unfortunately, braised duck is not on the agenda for the day so I had to make plans to come back for it some other time.

After I got home that night, I cannot put the smell of the lor out of my mind. I began to google about the stall and came across reviews claiming it to be the best traditional braised duck in Singapore.

I also found out that the stall was from the former Margaret Drive Hawker Centre. Ah, that explains the Makan Places Lost & Found decal I saw pasted on the glass, among several newspaper cuttings.

singapore,old school braised duck,mei ling market & food centre,food review,no signboard braised duck,braised duck,無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥,159 mei chin road

On the day of my visit, there is not much of a queue since I was early. It took less than five minutes for me to reach the front of the line.

I ordered a bowl of braised duck noodles and a bowl of braised duck porridge. I opt for the regular bowls at $3 each.

The elderly uncle is in charge of all the chopping while the auntie is responsible for taking orders, collecting payment, scooping of rice and cooking the noodles.

I started with the bowl of noodles first. I was given a mix of yellow noodles and wide kway teow (flat rice noodle). Before I gave the noodles a toss with the concocted sauce, I had a piece of the thinly sliced duck meat.

Strangely, the meat did not appear to have the fragrance of the Ior that was apparent in the air. 

The meat itself is fresh and tender but it was somewhat lacking in flavors.

singapore,old school braised duck,mei ling market & food centre,food review,no signboard braised duck,braised duck,無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥,159 mei chin road

How about the noodles?

I took a mouthful but was overwhelmed by the smell of the taugeh (bean sprouts) which were probably blanched together with the noodles in the same pot of water. I do like taugeh but not that raw smell associated with it.

Ignoring the smell of the taugeh, I tried to pay attention to the noodle instead. I realized that the sauce is a tad too salty for my liking.

As for the soup, I felt that the flavors of the herbs had been overshadowed by the star anise.

My vote for my favorite braised duck noodles still remains with the stall at Boon Lay Place Food Village.

singapore,old school braised duck,mei ling market & food centre,food review,no signboard braised duck,braised duck,無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥,159 mei chin road

What about the porridge then?

At first glance, I thought the auntie has forgotten about the duck meat and had given me a bowl of plain porridge instead. I gave it a stir, hoping it isn't true and was relived to find the duck meat and sauce at the bottom of the bowl.

The consistency of the porridge is thick but kind of lumpy so I had to break it up with my spoon. It is not an issue to me though.

Compared to the noodles, the portion of the duck meat in the porridge is considerably lesser. However, I enjoyed the porridge much more than the noodles.


I only remembered to take a video after I had finished stirring when the porridge already turned from white to brown due to the savory duck sauce.

I do not understand why the flavors of the lor did not seemed to be imparted to the food? It certainly smelled better than it tastes. 

I am thinking of going back to try their braised duck rice. Perhaps I should try the duck meat in a platter, with the braised sauce ladled over it?

singapore,old school braised duck,mei ling market & food centre,food review,no signboard braised duck,braised duck,無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥,159 mei chin road

singapore,old school braised duck,mei ling market & food centre,food review,no signboard braised duck,braised duck,無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥,159 mei chin road

singapore,old school braised duck,mei ling market & food centre,food review,no signboard braised duck,braised duck,無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥,159 mei chin road

Getting to this food centre is very convenient. If you look at the map, the nearest MRT Station is Queenstown which would require a bit of walking up-slope. I would suggest taking bus service 64 from the bus stop (bus stop code 10201) opposite Redhill MRT Station instead as it brings you directly to the bus stop (bus stop code 11579) nearest to the food centre with minimal walking required. You know you have reached when you see aunties/grannies alighting the bus with their marketing trollies.


NO SIGNBOARD BRAISED DUCK RICE NOODLE PORRIDGE 無招牌鹵鴨飯麵粥
Mei Ling Market & Food Centre
159 Mei Chin Road
#02-04
Singapore 140159

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 10am - 2pm

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/ZoSZqSKcJH62



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach