Uncle Louis Famous Chicken Rice @ People's Park Food Centre

singapore,uncle louis famous chicken rice,food review,32 new market road,hawker centre,hainanese chicken rice,people's park food centre,food centre,

It has been some time since my last visit to People's Park Food Centre at 32 New Market Road. 

The hawker centre underwent a 3-months long renovation last year and is now comparatively cleaner and brighter. However, the persisting bird nuisance remains a issue to be addressed.

The lunch crowd was already gone by the time I arrived at two o'clock. I walk around to check which stalls are still available post lunch hour and I came upon Uncle Louis Famous Chicken Rice

I do not remember seeing this stall before. I have not been here for ages so it might be new. I decided to give it a try.

singapore,uncle louis famous chicken rice,food review,32 new market road,hawker centre,hainanese chicken rice,people's park food centre,food centre,

I see steamed (poached) and roasted (deep fried) chicken as well as char siu (barbecue pork) and siu yuk (roasted pork) hanging on the racks. Chicken is always my preferred option over pork therefore, I ordered a plate of poached chicken rice ($4). 

Since I am the only patron, it did not take long for my order to be ready.

As I turn around with the tray in my hands, I nearly stumble over the leg of a Caucasian who had his leg sticking out across the aisle. He was drinking with four others at the table in front of the stall. 

Fortunately, I managed to stable my footing in time from tripping forward. He did not look the least apologetic. However, I am not surprised by his nonchalant behavior as the look of disdain on his face tells me everything I need to know about his character.

The bloody lowlife merely withdraw his leg under the shadows of the table and carried on his merry ways.

singapore,uncle louis famous chicken rice,food review,32 new market road,hawker centre,hainanese chicken rice,people's park food centre,food centre,

I did not request for any specific chicken part and was given the deboned breast meat. The texture is tender but not as smooth as I like. 

I have had chicken breast from other places which are rendered better so perhaps this is an area that they can look into improving?

Doused in a mixture of soy sauce and sesame oil, I find the dressing a tad too salty as well.

I did some background check after I got home and realized that Uncle Louis is an ex-chef from Hilton. With such credentials behind him, naturally the bar have to go higher.

To give credit where credit is due, the generous portion is value for money. 

singapore,uncle louis famous chicken rice,food review,32 new market road,hawker centre,hainanese chicken rice,people's park food centre,food centre,

The Thai short grained rice actually stood out for me more than the chicken. 

I love that it is richly flavored with the aromatics yet not too greasy. I could easily have two plates on its own.

singapore,uncle louis famous chicken rice,food review,32 new market road,hawker centre,hainanese chicken rice,people's park food centre,food centre,

I am unable to tell what soup this is but I can assure you that it is more than just hot water with a dash of pepper. 

It tastes robust with bold hints of ginger aftertaste. I am not discounting the use of MSG here though.

singapore,uncle louis famous chicken rice,food review,32 new market road,hawker centre,hainanese chicken rice,people's park food centre,food centre,

Help yourself to the holy trinity of chicken rice dipping sauce available: dark sauce, ginger puree and the mandatory garlic chili.

I am not usually a fan of the dark sauce but I drizzled a few rounds on the rice for some color.

The ginger puree is mildly savory without that pungent, spicy note. It goes great as a dip for the chicken or simply to have with some rice.

As for the garlic chili, it is not diluted with loads of white vinegar. The consistency is slightly thick and packed quite some heat.

singapore,uncle louis famous chicken rice,food review,32 new market road,hawker centre,hainanese chicken rice,people's park food centre,food centre,


UNCLE LOUIS FAMOUS CHICKEN RICE
People's Park Food Centre
32 New Market Road
Singapore 050032

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 9am - 10pm



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach