Ga-Hock Roti Prata @ 794 Upper Bukit Timah

佳福印度煎饼,singapore,794 upper bukit timah,ga-hock roti prata,food review,佳福餐馆,ga-hock eating house,

Ga-Hock Eating House is a modest coffee shop sharing the same building as Bukit Panjang Hokkien Kong Huay at this stretch of old shop houses along Upper Bukit Timah Road.

I have lived in the vicinity for about 30 years now but I'm totally oblivious to its existence.

To think that I have been taking the bus to school via this route for eight consecutive years (three years primary and five years secondary) yet I have never noticed!

I only found out recently when I come across people talking about it on Facebook. It piqued my interest to come check it out. 

The very first thing you would see, when you reach here, is the roasted meat stall right at the entrance. Walk past it and you will find yourself flanked on both sides by the beverage stall, a noodle stall, a snack stall, a tze char stall and a roti prata stall.

The premise is so cramp, there is no space for even one table. The seating arrangements are all at the back behind the building under the huge Bodhi tree. Do not worry, though, as you will be protected from the elements under a zinc roof. 

I am awed by the laid-back vibes here which is reminiscent of a dai pai dong in Malaysia.

佳福印度煎饼,singapore,794 upper bukit timah,ga-hock roti prata,food review,佳福餐馆,ga-hock eating house,

So, what brings me here to this little ulu location of a coffee shop? I have actually come for the roti prata which is what gotten people talking about it on Facebook (and caught my attention)

The stall, aptly named Ga-Hock Roti Prata, is surprisingly operated by both a Chinese and Indian uncle. The former takes order and collect payment while the latter kneads and flip, well, pratas.

After placing my order with the Chinese uncle, I am told to take a seat and that he will call for me to come collect my order once it is ready. When I did, he asked for my preferential sauce (fish, mutton, dahl or sambal) and to come back for more if I desire. 

As I turned to walk away with my plate, he said "小心点" which made my heart miss a beat. I doubt that he is threatening me to "watch out". Rather, I interpreted it as "Be mindful of your steps and do not trip/slip/fall on your way to the back".

Now, when was the last time someone actually showed you such concern? No, your mother does not count.

I am pretty sure everyone receive the same fantastic service here but I have never been so touched by a hawker like uncle before. Awww.

佳福印度煎饼,singapore,794 upper bukit timah,ga-hock roti prata,food review,佳福餐馆,ga-hock eating house,

My default order is usually one piece kosong (plain) and one piece with egg but since I took half an hour's walk over from my place, I might as well order two egg pratas instead. 

I know 30 minutes is barely enough to walk off all that calories therefore I walked another 30 minutes back home.

My pratas are made upon order therefore there is a short wait of about 7 minutes. I am lucky that there are no orders before me or the wait would have been much longer.

I am uncertain about the kosong but my egg prata is only crispy around the edges where there is no egg. I did the scraping test in the middle with the fork but no scratchy sound is observed. However, I do enjoy the doughy and soft texture with its buttery fragrance.

And the best part? It is not greasy at all.

佳福印度煎饼,singapore,794 upper bukit timah,ga-hock roti prata,food review,佳福餐馆,ga-hock eating house,

For the choice of dipping sauce, my preference is in this order: fish curry; mutton curry; dahl.

Fish curry appeals the most to me as the tanginess helps to cut through the jelakness, if anything. The one from my hood pales in comparison as the one here have a bolder taste and so much more inviting.

On the other hand, mutton curry can be a little overwhelming for me with all the fats and gaminess.

As for dahl, just say I have no love for lentils.

Sambal is available here for a little top-up. I believe it is 50¢ for a saucer.

The pricing here is a little steep, unfortunately. A plain prata goes for $1.50 while one with egg is $2.20. 

佳福印度煎饼,singapore,794 upper bukit timah,ga-hock roti prata,food review,佳福餐馆,ga-hock eating house,

The rustic ambience makes it a charming spot to take a breather from the hustle and bustle of life. A big monsoon drain with the sound of flowing water (no foul smell!) and a huge Bodhi tree (with songs from the caged birds) completes the experience.

I came on a weekday morning so there is not much crowd. I heard the place would be teeming with cyclists during the weekends so plan your visit accordingly.


Ga-Hock Eating House is right across the road from the MINDEF Building at Gombak Drive. 

佳福印度煎饼,singapore,794 upper bukit timah,ga-hock roti prata,food review,佳福餐馆,ga-hock eating house,


GA-HOCK ROTI PRATA 佳福印度煎饼
Ga-Hock Eating House
794 Upper Bukit Timah Road
Singapore 678133

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 8.30am - 1.30pm



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach