Gorilla Curry @ Blk 323 Bukit Batok Street 33

singapore,food review,review,blk 323 bukit batok street 33,food,gorilla curry,curry rice,猩猩咖喱,

Update: Gorilla Curry has moved out of the coffee shop due to rental issues. Follow their Facebook page for their next location.

I have been following Lao Cai Curry on social media for a while now when they were still at Blk 537 Bukit Batok Street 52. They have since rebranded as Gorilla Curry and moved to Blk 323 Bukit Batok Street 33. 

Their interesting menu of curry chicken, braised pork and mala fish are what caught my attention but even though they are located very near me, I have not found the opportunity to visit them until now. 

I arrived at about 8.30am, feeling extremely excited to order their signature chicken drumstick curry rice ($4.50) but was informed that they had no drumsticks at the moment and if I would accept two chicken wings as replacement instead. 

I could not remember the exact reason given for the lack of drumsticks but I agreed to the change nonetheless.

singapore,food review,review,blk 323 bukit batok street 33,food,gorilla curry,curry rice,猩猩咖喱,

It was not a pretty sight when I opened up the box at home. If only they had packed the curry and chili separately, otherwise, I would not have been so repulsed by the sight of the box soaking up in the liquids.

singapore,food review,review,blk 323 bukit batok street 33,food,gorilla curry,curry rice,猩猩咖喱,

The two chicken wings were of a decent size but it would be good if they brine the chicken wings overnight for some flavor as the meat tasted too bland. 

I prefer my curry less lemak with more emphasize on the rempah but their curry is the exact opposite with way too much coconut milk that it overshadows the rempah

I like my curry heavy on flavors but this version is too mild for my liking. A bit more salt and spiciness would be much appreciated. 

singapore,food review,review,blk 323 bukit batok street 33,food,gorilla curry,curry rice,猩猩咖喱,

Oh, and the fried egg.

A runny yolk would be more enticing but what I had instead was a broken yolk that is fully cooked and totally detached from the egg white.

I apologize for the less than stellar review but it is unfortunate that this curry does not sit well with me. On the bright side, the reviews on Google tells a very different story. Most of the reviews seems satisfied so it is most likely my own problem. 

To give credit where credit is due, the ladies running the stall are pleasant and well-mannered. 

singapore,food review,review,blk 323 bukit batok street 33,food,gorilla curry,curry rice,猩猩咖喱,


GORILLA CURRY 猩猩咖喱
Seven Stars Coffee Shop
Blk 323 Bukit Batok Street 33
Singapore 650323

Business Hours
Tue - Sun: 7am - 3pm
Closed: Mon