Ayya Indian Foods - Chicken Masala Rice Set @ Tekka Market & Food Centre

singapore,food review,food,review,tekka centre,tekka market,tekka market & food centre,indian food,indian muslim,indian muslim food,halal,halal food,chicken masala,

Chicken masala is another item that I have been yearning to try for ages. I was walking around Tekka Market & Food Centre checking out the stalls offering this dish when I came across the queue in front of Ayya Indian Foods. 

The queue actually cleared quite fast and since they offer chicken masala as a set meal, I decided to give them a try.

Other set meal options included crab, prawn, sotong and fish. Chicken and mutton biryanis are available on the menu as well.

My chicken masala meal ($5.50) is served on a large banana leaf atop a tray. The meal included rice, chicken masala and two vegetable dishes.

It was while drafting this post at home that I realized the papadum was missing.

singapore,food review,food,review,tekka centre,tekka market,tekka market & food centre,indian food,indian muslim,indian muslim food,halal,halal food,chicken masala,

The portion of the basmati rice is generously more than enough for two to share. If you are used to the fragrance and flavors of spices found in briyani, having plain white basmati rice for the first time was like a breath of fresh air although it needs a little getting used to. The drizzle of mutton curry on the rice makes the transition easier.

The two vegetable dishes are fried cabbage and long bean with cauliflower.

singapore,food review,food,review,tekka centre,tekka market,tekka market & food centre,indian food,indian muslim,indian muslim food,halal,halal food,chicken masala,

I observed that Indian food stalls tend to overcook their vegetables. I wonder why?

The mildly spicy long bean is cooked till mushy but the cauliflower florets retained some bite, therefore provided some alternate textures.

I am not really a fan of long beans as I dislike that "green" taste. 

singapore,food review,food,review,tekka centre,tekka market,tekka market & food centre,indian food,indian muslim,indian muslim food,halal,halal food,chicken masala,

I had expected the cabbage to be on the softer side as well but I was proven wrong this time. I have always love Indian cabbage with mustard seeds. Not sure if this is the same thing as there are no mustard seeds to be seen. 

I actually preferred my cabbage on the softer side that is why I like them better stewed than fried.

singapore,food review,food,review,tekka centre,tekka market,tekka market & food centre,indian food,indian muslim,indian muslim food,halal,halal food,chicken masala,

I had to save the chicken leg for the last. 

Firstly, I have difficulty tearing the chicken apart with the plastic cutlery and secondly, I could not afford to dirty my right hand as I still need to operate the camera.

After making sure that I have gotten all the shots I wanted, I picked up the chicken with my right hand (remember in the previous post, I mentioned that the left hand is destined for other worldly duties?). 

I realized why the plastic cutlery failed to tear the chicken apart earlier is because  it was not fully cooked on the inside. I had to pick around the raw parts to eat.

What a shame but I hope it is just a one-off incident.

singapore,food review,food,review,tekka centre,tekka market,tekka market & food centre,indian food,indian muslim,indian muslim food,halal,halal food,chicken masala,


AYYA INDIAN FOOD
Tekka Market & Food Centre
665 Buffalo Road
#01-281
Singapore 210665

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 11am - 9pm