216 Mee Hoon Kueh @ 216 Choa Chu Kang Ave 1

singapore,food review,food, review,216 choa chu kang ave 1,216 coffee shop,mee hoon kueh,ban mian,handmade noodle,

This is a continuation from my previous post, where I visited 216 Coffee Shop along 216 Choa Chu Kang Ave 1 for its chee cheong fun.

As mentioned previously, the coffee shop was a stone's throw away from my house. I arrived at around 7am to place an order for the chee cheong fun. I anticipated that the rice rolls would not keep me satiate for long hence, I also ordered a bowl of dry mee hoon kueh ($4) for good measure.

Just like the chee cheong fun stall, the mee hoon kueh stall does not have a signboard as well therefore, allow me to call it 216 Mee Hoon Kueh.

I was given a number tag and told to take a seat.

singapore,food review,food, review,216 choa chu kang ave 1,216 coffee shop,mee hoon kueh,ban mian,handmade noodle,

The chee cheong fun came within 10 minutes and after the photo taking and all, my mee hoon kueh was still no where in sight.

By then, more people have arrived as the tables around me began to fill up. At 7.45am, I heard someone yelling the number on my number tag and I promptly went to pick up my order.

singapore,food review,food, review,216 choa chu kang ave 1,216 coffee shop,mee hoon kueh,ban mian,handmade noodle,

My bowl of mee hoon kueh looked promising with knobs of minced pork, thin slices of Chinese and button mushrooms, Chinese spinach and crispy ikan bilis. Spring onions were sprinkled on top as a finishing touch.

I gave everything in the bowl a good stir to mix up the dark sauce and chili sauce when a sharp, vinegary tang wafted to my nose. I suddenly recalled the stall owner asking if I wanted black vinegar added. I said yes without much thought as I normally liked that with bak chor mee or fish ball noodle.

It did not occur to me that I am having mee hoon kueh and it is not something I normally associate with black vinegar. This is the first time that I am given this option by a mee hoon kueh stall.

Sadly, the other components of the sauces were rather underwhelming for I could taste nothing else except the sourness of black vinegar.

As for the accompanying soup, it is light and tasty.

singapore,food review,food, review,216 choa chu kang ave 1,216 coffee shop,mee hoon kueh,ban mian,handmade noodle,

I am not sure if the mee hoon kueh or the other noodles (u-mian, ban mian) available here are hand made but they are certainly pressed by machine. The uniformed thickness is an obvious tell tale sign

I very much prefer if the kueh are torn by hand to have the uneven thickness for a more satisfying mouthfeel. Furthermore, the tearing of the dough would result in the delectable chewiness I seek.

And may I humbly suggest the stall owners to include a runny egg to justify the slightly higher price point for a neighborhood stall.

singapore,food review,food, review,216 choa chu kang ave 1,216 coffee shop,mee hoon kueh,ban mian,handmade noodle,

The coffee shop is located along this stretch of shop houses along Choa Chu Kang Ave 1. There is something rustic about this place that is reminiscent of my pre-Covid19 day trips to the dai pai dong of Malaysia.

The awning is a permanent structure to shield patrons from the elements. If not for that, this would truly be an al fresco dai pai dong experience in Singapore.

singapore,food review,food, review,216 choa chu kang ave 1,216 coffee shop,mee hoon kueh,ban mian,handmade noodle,


216 MEE HOON KUEH
216 Coffee Shop
216 Choa Chu Kang Ave 1
Singapore 689477

Business Hours
Tue - Sun: 7.15am - 3.30am
Closed: Mon



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach