Heavens Appam @ Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre

indian food,singapore,food review,appam,review,heavens,food,ghim moh market & food centre,20 ghim moh road,

Heavens is the name of an Indian breakfast stall serving a very limited menu of thosai, putu mayam and appam at Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre.

What piqued my interest is their unusual name. Why Heavens? Indian food stalls are normally named after the registered owner's name, the kind of food they sell or based on its location.

Of course, I do not speak collectively for all but just sharing my own personal experience with the ones that I have come across with.

Besides, such establishments are usually dominated by a male working environment hence my surprise to discover this stall managed wholly by two ladies.

Furthermore, if you have not already noticed by now that roti prata - quintessentially the representative Indian breakfast choice for many - is not on the menu.

But, roti prata is not why I am here for. What I am really after is their appam which I have not eaten before.

indian food,singapore,food review,appam,review,heavens,food,ghim moh market & food centre,20 ghim moh road,

Appam is a South Indian type of pancake made traditionally from fermented rice batter and coconut milk. However, at Heavens, they have replaced the use of coconut milk with fresh milk instead.

The appam is cooked on a special griddle specially sourced from India. Called a appachatti, it reminded me of a mini version of a Chinese wok.

The batter is ladled over the appachatti and given a quick swirl over a stove to spread thin. Due to the griddle's curved bottom, the excess batter would flow with gravity resulting in a appam with thin, crispy edges and a spongy centre.

I decided to order two plain ones for $2.50. You can add on either cheese, egg, or butter at $2 a piece or have the all-in-one that comes with a lovely name called Princess appam for $3 a piece. No matter which variant you order, they are all served with the same grated coconut and red sugar.

indian food,singapore,food review,appam,review,heavens,food,ghim moh market & food centre,20 ghim moh road,

My appam were cooked upon order and I think it took about five minutes to be ready. While looking for a table, I supported the weight of the paper plate on my palm. I am surprised the two appam felt heavier than it looks.

Utensils are redundant as you should really eat the appam with your hands. Simply tear a corner off and eat it with the grated coconut or red sugar. My preference is having the appam on its own, while relishing in the sourish flavor of the fermented rice batter.

This is my first time having appam and I like it. As the places near me does not serve this, I have no chance to try it until now. My only gripe is that they were not served on the metal plate I was expecting.

They have recently introduced idly ($2.50 for 2 pieces) and chapati ($3 for 2 pieces) to their menu. I cannot wait to come back to try their other offerings which I have also not tried before. 

indian food,singapore,food review,appam,review,heavens,food,ghim moh market & food centre,20 ghim moh road,


HEAVENS
Ghim Moh Market & Food Centre
20 Ghim Moh Road
#01-26
Singapore 270020

Business Hours
Tue - Sun: 7am - 2pm
Closed: Mon


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach