Henry's Chicken Rice @ Commonwealth Crescent Market & Food Centre

singapore,chatterbox chicken rice,food review,mandarin orchard,roasted chicken rice,commonwealth crescent market & food centre,henry's chicken rice,兴利鸡饭,blk 31 commonwealth crescent

I have read numerous reviews about Henry's Chicken Rice at Commonwealth Crescent Market & Food Centre just across from Hao Hao Noodle House and I decided to check them out.

I am particularly intrigued by two of the reviews which mentioned about a certain black-faced auntie. Why is she black-faced? I reminded myself not to blindly believe everything that was posted online. Who knows, it might have been a disgruntled customer bad mouthing her?

On the day of my visit, I approached the stall with an open mind. Surely, the auntie will not be black-faced for no rhyme or reason? Her back was facing me when I stood in front of the stall. It was still early so a queue have not build up yet. When she turned around, I have to say, I was taken aback by her expression. Her face was, like they said - black.

Auntie:  要什么?(what you want? what is your order?) 
Me: 烧鸡腿饭,这里吃。(roasted chicken drumstick rice, having here)

She proceeded to prepare my order, placed them on the tray and collected payment without another word, a smile or thank you.

But I did not do anything to make her angry what. Why is she mad at me? I eventually came to this conclusion: perhaps auntie is naturally poker face lah. Not that she is angry or anything.

Cannot expect people to keep smiling right? Siao meh?

singapore,chatterbox chicken rice,food review,mandarin orchard,roasted chicken rice,commonwealth crescent market & food centre,henry's chicken rice,兴利鸡饭,blk 31 commonwealth crescent

A plate of chicken rice here starts from $2.50. My drumstick rice is $3.50. They serve both the poached chicken and roasted chicken here but I decided to go for the latter as I see most people are having that.

My order came with a plate of oily rice, a deboned chicken drumstick, a bowl of soup and a saucer of chili sauce.

The drumstick is tender and fleshy while the thin skin is crisp and salty. There are chunks of cucumber and lettuce underneath the pile of chicken meat.

singapore,chatterbox chicken rice,food review,mandarin orchard,roasted chicken rice,commonwealth crescent market & food centre,henry's chicken rice,兴利鸡饭,blk 31 commonwealth crescent

As for the rice, I have mixed feelings about it. From the health point of view, the rice is not too oily which is probably healthier but then the taste, in my opinion, has been compromised.

This is not to say the rice is awful though. I just find it not as shiok and pang (fragrant) enough by chicken rice standards. The rice here lean more towards white rice than chicken rice rice.

singapore,chatterbox chicken rice,food review,mandarin orchard,roasted chicken rice,commonwealth crescent market & food centre,henry's chicken rice,兴利鸡饭,blk 31 commonwealth crescent

The complimentary soup with bits of tofu, spring onions and fried shallots. Nice to have but nothing to shout about.

singapore,chatterbox chicken rice,food review,mandarin orchard,roasted chicken rice,commonwealth crescent market & food centre,henry's chicken rice,兴利鸡饭,blk 31 commonwealth crescent

One of the reviewers mentioned that each customer is only entitled to one saucer of chili sauce.

To be fair, there was no restriction imposed by any of the stall owners. The container of chili sauce was placed outside and I helped myself to it with no death stare from them.

But there is a sign that states "additional chili, add money". Could it be referring to takeaways where  sauces are packed into larger bags when you order whole birds? The stall owners must be very proud of their own chili or they are tired of customers wasting their precious chili by taking more than necessary. Either way, I can empathize with them as it takes time, money and effort to produce the chili so let us waste not want not. It is a virtue not to be wasteful.

singapore,chatterbox chicken rice,food review,mandarin orchard,roasted chicken rice,commonwealth crescent market & food centre,henry's chicken rice,兴利鸡饭,blk 31 commonwealth crescent

It was stated on their website that Henry learned his skills from the Chef behind the famous Chatterbox chicken rice at Mandarin Orchard. I may not have the budget for the sifu's chicken rice, but having the disciple's chicken rice is also the same thing right?

I only have one pressing question to ask: is Henry's chicken rice anywhere near his sifu's standards? 

singapore,chatterbox chicken rice,food review,mandarin orchard,roasted chicken rice,commonwealth crescent market & food centre,henry's chicken rice,兴利鸡饭,blk 31 commonwealth crescent


HENRY'S CHICKEN RICE 兴利鸡饭
Commonwealth Crescent Market & Food Centre
Blk 31 Commonwealth Crescent
#02-84
Singapore 149644

Business Hours
Fri - Wed: 9am till sold out
Closed: Thu

Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henry's%20Chicken%20Rice/2164487030270472/

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/mWWCQdzi2XB4Aa3H9


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach