Chef Kin HK Wanton Noodle @ Blk 177 Bukit Batok West Ave 8

坚哥,singapore,get together coffee shop,云吞面,chef kin hk wanton noodle,chef kin,food review,review,blk 177 bukit batok west ave 8,wanton noodle,food,坚哥港式云吞面,

From this month (10 February 2022) onwards, residents of Bukit Batok will have more food options to explore following the opening of a new coffee shop at block 177 Bukit Batok West Ave 8.

What makes this coffee shop stand out among the others in the neighborhood is that several 'branded' hawker stalls can all be found under one roof here.

Some of the big names that took up space in this coffee shop named Get Together Coffee Shop included:

  • Chef Kin HK Wanton Noodle,
  • Chef Wei HK Cheong Fun,
  • Jiak Song,
  • Rong Cheng Rou Gu Cha,
  • Nam Sing Hokkien Fried Mee, and
  • Tiong Bahru Hainanese Chicken Rice

There is also a nasi lemak stall, a western food stall, a vegetarian stall, and the beverage stall.

As I googled for the location, I realized it is the old site of the coffee shop where I used to have vegetarian food with my classmates after school when we need to stay back for ECA. 

Of course, it is not the same dingy coffee shop anymore but one that is newly renovated and probably under new management.

The very first stall that caught my interest is Chef Kin HK Wanton Noodle.

坚哥,singapore,get together coffee shop,云吞面,chef kin hk wanton noodle,chef kin,food review,review,blk 177 bukit batok west ave 8,wanton noodle,food,坚哥港式云吞面,

Founded by Chef Kin, or more affectionately known as Kin-gor (brother Kin) - a former executive chef from Crystal Jade, I was really tempted to give his wanton noodle a try ever since his first outlet began operations at Yishun in September last year. 

However, what stood in the way was the more than 60 minutes queue as reported by those who personally went down to support. As such, I decided to wait it out a little before I make my way there.

In the span of just a few short months, Kin-gor has already expanded from Yishun to four more outlets at Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Clementi and now, Bukit Batok.

With one outlet so close to me, there is no more excuse for me to procrastinate any further.

坚哥,singapore,get together coffee shop,云吞面,chef kin hk wanton noodle,chef kin,food review,review,blk 177 bukit batok west ave 8,wanton noodle,food,坚哥港式云吞面,

When I arrived on a weekday morning, who else, but Kin-gor himself was there to run the show. Fortunately, there is only one customer before me hence I got to place my order almost immediately. 

There are only three items on the menu: wanton noodle soup/dry ($5), dumpling noodle soup/dry ($5) and beef brisket noodle soup/dry ($5.50). Additional wantons and dumplings are also available ala carte in soup ($5) or deep fried ($4).

The reason why I opted for the soup version is because that is how the Hong Kong-styled wanton noodle are originally served. I have been longing for a bowl after seeing it on various Hong Kong TV programs since a very long time ago.

My family have been to Hong Kong twice but both times, I was unable to go due to circumstances.

As Kin-gor is born and bred in Hong Kong, who else can I depend on but him to deliver an authentic bowl of Hong Kong wanton noodle?

坚哥,singapore,get together coffee shop,云吞面,chef kin hk wanton noodle,chef kin,food review,review,blk 177 bukit batok west ave 8,wanton noodle,food,坚哥港式云吞面,

Unlike the Singapore and Malaysian version, the Hong Kong wanton noodle does not have any char siew at all

Indeed, what's served in my porcelain bowl is a substantial mound of noodle topped with five wantons and choy sum in soup.

I sneaked a sip of soup before the photo session and was stoked by its umami-ness  which is a concoction of old hen, pork, jinhua ham and dried flounder fish. (not I pandai but the info was available on their FB)

坚哥,singapore,get together coffee shop,云吞面,chef kin hk wanton noodle,chef kin,food review,review,blk 177 bukit batok west ave 8,wanton noodle,food,坚哥港式云吞面,

According to their FB, their noodle was made with duck eggs and imported directly from Hong Kong. That explains the higher than normal hawker price but think of it this way, you are actually paying half the price for Crystal Jade quality.

As I picked up the noodle, my nose was assaulted by the insufferable smell of kansui (lye/alkaline water).

There is no cause for alarm actually. (I am just being dramatic) The smell is prevalent for just the first two mouthful after which, it becomes barely noticeable so it is not too much of an issue here. 

What really appeals to me is the substantial bite from the firm and springy thin noodle. I am not too sure if the addition of duck egg has got anything to do with it.

As for the wanton, they are very different from our local version which are primarily filled with minced pork. 

If I am not mistaken, the characteristic of Hong Kong's wanton contains just shrimp or shrimp with very little minced pork wrapped within a thin piece of wanton skin that turns translucent and slippery smooth after cooking.

That is exactly how Kin-gor's wantons are presented so I assumed they are quite authentic in this aspect.

坚哥,singapore,get together coffee shop,云吞面,chef kin hk wanton noodle,chef kin,food review,review,blk 177 bukit batok west ave 8,wanton noodle,food,坚哥港式云吞面,

The stall adopts the digital numbering system so after ordering and making payment, you can take a seat and wait for your number to flash on the screen to pick up your order.

However, as there was no queue after me, it is not necessary for a number so I just stood there and wait for my order to be ready.

坚哥,singapore,get together coffee shop,云吞面,chef kin hk wanton noodle,chef kin,food review,review,blk 177 bukit batok west ave 8,wanton noodle,food,坚哥港式云吞面,


CEHF KIN HK WANTON NOODLE 坚哥港式云吞面
Get Together Coffee Shop
Blk 177 Bukit Batok West Ave 8
Singapore 650177

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 7.30am - 8pm




Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach