Fu Xiang Fried Oyster @ Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre

hao jian,蠔煎,蚵仔煎,food,singapore,orh jian,clementi 448 market,fu xiang fried oyster & carrot cake,food review,review,orh luak,clementi 448 market & food centre,blk 448 clementi ave 3,富翔

Many years ago, Dad and Mom brought home a big packet of orh luak (fried oyster omelette) from Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre. That was my first orh luak in years and I remember relishing it back then.

I do not eat this dish frequently. It is something that I have only once in a blue moon when I feel generous or when I wanted to give myself a treat.

I decided to check out this stall called Fu Xiang Fried Oyster at Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre. I could not be sure if this was the very same stall where Dad bought it from as the stall's façade looked relatively new but I believe this is the only stall offering orh luak ($4/$6/$8/$10) at the food centre.

hao jian,蠔煎,蚵仔煎,food,singapore,orh jian,clementi 448 market,fu xiang fried oyster & carrot cake,food review,review,orh luak,clementi 448 market & food centre,blk 448 clementi ave 3,富翔

I am amazed that you can get a plate of orh luak here for just $4! Standard pricing for a basic plate would costs at least $5 everywhere else.

For the life of me, I could not remember if I ordered the $4 or $6 portion. If it is $4, I think the portion is just right otherwise, I felt that they could be a little more generous with the portion.

My plate of orh luak contains fried egg and oysters served with stalks of spring onion. I would prefer the fragrance of coriander instead.

hao jian,蠔煎,蚵仔煎,food,singapore,orh jian,clementi 448 market,fu xiang fried oyster & carrot cake,food review,review,orh luak,clementi 448 market & food centre,blk 448 clementi ave 3,富翔

The quality of the oysters were okay - plump and mid-sized but nothing too out of the ordinary. On the other hand, the egg is fried thin and crispy with a eggy fragrance though it tasted a little dry. I prefer my egg fluffier and thicker.

What is your favorite component of the dish? The oyster or the egg? 

For me, it is neither. My favorite is actually the corn starch slurry that has been fried to a gooey mess. I prefer it gooey rather than crispy which is how it is being done here. I enjoy chewing on it with the tangy chili poured in. I am sure you can request for it to be fried till crispy just like the egg if that is how you roll.

hao jian,蠔煎,蚵仔煎,food,singapore,orh jian,clementi 448 market,fu xiang fried oyster & carrot cake,food review,review,orh luak,clementi 448 market & food centre,blk 448 clementi ave 3,富翔

The orh luak chili is another one of my favorite type of chili alongside chicken rice chili, nasi lemak sambal, etc. I like it for its sour notes but somehow, the chili here is a bit lacking in that punch.

The good thing is the chili here is kept in a tub in front of the stall which you can help yourself to. And did I mention that the young stall owners here are super friendly so they would not give you the eye when you helped yourself to an extra saucer of chili?

hao jian,蠔煎,蚵仔煎,food,singapore,orh jian,clementi 448 market,fu xiang fried oyster & carrot cake,food review,review,orh luak,clementi 448 market & food centre,blk 448 clementi ave 3,富翔

Apart from orh luak, they sell orh nerng (oyster and egg without the corn starch slurry) and fried carrot cake here as well so do give them a try.

hao jian,蠔煎,蚵仔煎,food,singapore,orh jian,clementi 448 market,fu xiang fried oyster & carrot cake,food review,review,orh luak,clementi 448 market & food centre,blk 448 clementi ave 3,富翔


FU XIANG FRIED OYSTER & CARROT CAKE 富翔
Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre
Blk 448 Clementi Ave 3
#01-09
Singapore 120448

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 9am - 10pm