Hua Kee Chicken Rice 华记鸡饭 @ Redhill Market & Food Centre

chicken rice, food, hua kee chicken rice, redhill, redhill food centre, 焱, 华记鸡饭,singapore,food review,review,redhill market & food centre

My last visit to Redhill Food Centre was more than 10 years ago when I walk pass it from Redhill MRT Station while on my way to have my pre-NS checkup at CMPB.

At that time, I knew nothing about the many good food to be found in this old, humble estate. For my return after more than a decade, I did some research online and compiled a list of the must-eats here at the food centre.

Among the popular stalls that made it to my list is (#01-09), whose fried chicken wings is supposedly so good that our Prime Minister Lee was spotted in the queue. Then, there is also Seng Heng Duck Mee (#01-28), Bak Kee Satay Bee Hoon (#01-42) and Hua Kee Chicken Rice (#01-72).

Unfortunately, I did not take note of the operating hours as I naively think that all hawker stalls start their business in the morning.

焱, for example, open only from 3pm onward. The rest of the stalls in my list were either not opened yet or in the midst of opening their stall.

Hua Kee Chicken Rice is the only one fully operational with a short queue forming that morning. Since it is the only viable option available in my list, I naturally joined the queue.

I noticed that Hua Kee did not hang any birds for display as the front of the stall was plastered with newspaper cuttings, accolades and even blog reviews.

At first, I wanted to order a one person potion for myself. Dad came along and told me to order for him. Then, he changed his mind and asked me to order for Mum as well. Oh, the heck! Why not just order half a chicken instead (which is what I did)?

My order of half a bird and three plates of rice costs about $15.50 if I remember correctly.

chicken rice, food, hua kee chicken rice, redhill, redhill food centre, 焱, 华记鸡饭,singapore,food review,review,redhill market & food centre

The poached chicken is chopped in thick chunks with the skin all accounted for. Don't you hate it when your chicken skin goes missing? The chicken is dressed in a concoction of soya sauce and sesame oil which is light and not overly salty. This allows the chicken flavor to shine through.

I particularly like the succulent part along the spine where the meat is extremely tender with no traces of blood.

The portion of cucumber hidden beneath the chicken were finely sliced. The workmanship is so good it looked like those plating decoration in Chinese fine dining. Whilst we appreciate the effort, we would prefer to have the crunch of the cucumber in thicker chunks though.

As for the rice, it is not too oily yet the fragrance of chicken rice is not compromised. You will not feel so jelak even if you do eat a little more.

Finally, the condiment included dark soy and the all important chili. The chili packs a punch but would be better if it is a little bit more tangy. Of course, that is just my personal preference.

chicken rice, food, hua kee chicken rice, redhill, redhill food centre, 焱, 华记鸡饭,singapore,food review,review,redhill market & food centre
The spring onion from the chicken which we transferred to the complimentary soup

Overall, I think Hua Kee's poached chicken is worth the queue but you have to come early before they are sold out for the day by noon.

chicken rice, food, hua kee chicken rice, redhill, redhill food centre, 焱, 华记鸡饭,singapore,food review,review,redhill market & food centre


HUA KEE CHICKEN RICE 华记鸡饭
Redhill Market & Food Centre
Blk 85 Redhill Lane
#01-72
Singapore 150085

Opening Hours
Wed - Sun: 9.30am - 1.30pm daily
Closed: Mon & Tue

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/U4VH8L3Q2H32
GPS Coordinates: 1.287294,103.8159942


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach