Wang Wang Claypot Congee @ Blk 371 Bukit Batok Street 31

singapore,blk 371 bukit batok street 31,food review,wang wang claypot congee,hawker centre,旺旺砂煲粥品,mixed pork porridge,
 
Wang Wang Claypot Congee from the coffee shop at Blk 371 Bukit Batok Street 31, has been faithfully serving the Bukit Gombak neighborhood for as long as I could remember. 

The fact that they managed to come this far speak volumes about their congee. An obvious tell-tale sign of their popularity with the residents here is their worn-out signboard.

I have been a fan for a number of years and I wonder what took me so long to finally do a proper review about them?

What makes the stall stand out, is that they served their congee in claypots. Not many congee places do this and this is exactly what drawn me to them. 

Let us take a look at their menu:

  • Frog Congee ($6)
  • Ginger Onion Frog/Dry Cili Frog ($6.50 for one/$12 for two)
  • Hong Kong Style Congee ($4)
  • Seafood Congee ($4)
  • Scallop with pork/chicken/fish Congee ($4)
  • Sliced Fish/Sliced Fish with Cuttlefish Congee ($3.50/$4)
  • Century Egg Pork/Chicken/Pork Congee ($3.50)
  • Cuttlefish Peanut/Century Egg Congee ($3.50)
  • Pig's Organ Congee ($4)
  • Pig's Liver Pork Congee ($3.50)
  • Century Egg Pig's Liver Congee ($3.50)
  • Shredded Chicken Cuttlefish Congee ($3.50)
  • Peanut Congee ($2.50)
  • Sliced Abalone Congee ($3.50)

singapore,blk 371 bukit batok street 31,food review,wang wang claypot congee,hawker centre,旺旺砂煲粥品,mixed pork porridge,

Previously, one could simply walk off after ordering as the elderly stall owners provide table service.

All you need to do is to let them know of your table number and the congee would be served to you once it is ready.

That is during the pre-COVID-19 days. I have not been here since the outbreak.

Running the show now is a younger man, presumably the owners' son.

Perhaps due to a shortage of manpower, it is self-service, for now. I had to wait in front of the stall to collect my order which is fine as it provided me the opportunity to catch a glimpse of the action in the kitchen.

I remember during the elderly owners' time, the claypot is always burning hot to the touch thus, I am under the impression that the claypot congee is cooked directly in the claypot. 

However, I am surprised to see the congee being cooked in a steel pot then transferred to a claypot sitting on the counter.

I thought the claypot would have at least been pre-heated over the stove but regrettably, it was not even hot to the touch. I could literally lift the claypot off the tray onto the table with my bare hands. 

No doubt the congee is hot but serving it in a cold claypot kind of defeat the purpose. 

This is my first visit after a very long while so I hope it is not the "protocol' from now on.

singapore,blk 371 bukit batok street 31,food review,wang wang claypot congee,hawker centre,旺旺砂煲粥品,mixed pork porridge,

Despite the disappointing cold claypot issue, the congee is still as good as how I remember it to be. 

The consistency is just nice without being too runny or lumpy. The grains are still visible and not totally disintegrated like Cantonese jook which is too starchy for my liking.

The congee is flavorful enough on its own without further enhancements needed. I added some soy sauce which made it slightly salty.

singapore,blk 371 bukit batok street 31,food review,wang wang claypot congee,hawker centre,旺旺砂煲粥品,mixed pork porridge,


WANG WANG CLAYPOT CONGEE 旺旺砂煲粥品
Sin Huat Lee Restaurant
Blk 371 Bukit Batok Street 31
Singapore 650371

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 7am - 2pm



Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach