No-Name Wanton Mee With Hor Bao Daan @ Blk 125 Bukit Merah Lane 1

richard low wonton mee,singapore,wanton mee,云吞面,food review,review,雲吞麵,wanton noodle,food,blk 125 bukit merah lane 1,

A certain no-name wanton noodle stall has recently been making its rounds on several Facebook groups. What caught my attention was the hor bao daan (fried egg) on the plate alongside the wanton noodle.

I thought the combination was quite interesting. After some background checks, I found out the noodle stall is located inside a coffee shop called Hong Kong Street Chun Kee at Jalan Bukit Merah.

Upon checking google map, I realized that I have passed by the coffee shop several times before though it has never occurred to me to try the food there as the place was pretty quiet.

For the full story behind this wanton noodle stall, do check out Johor Kaki's blog.

singapore,richard low wonton mee,wanton mee,云吞面,food review,review,雲吞麵,wanton noodle,food,blk 125 bukit merah lane 1,

I visited the coffee shop on a weekday morning at around 10am. It was just as deserted as pre-covid times with less than five customers in the premise. The entire coffee shop is quite spacious but only the drinks stall and the wanton noodle stall are opened for business. The tze char stall was not due to open till an hour later to cater to the lunch crowd. 

I noticed all the tables here are the old school marble top tables from my grandparents time. How nostalgic! Anyway, I digress.

I approached the stall to order a $4 plate and add-on a fried egg (additional 70¢) with the lady sitting outside who is busy wrapping wantons. After placing my order, I was told to take a seat and it did not take long when my food was brought to the table.

richard low wonton mee, singapore,wanton mee,云吞面,food review,review,雲吞麵,wanton noodle,food,blk 125 bukit merah lane 1,

I am not sure how the stall came up with the idea to sell their wanton noodle with fried egg but it sure piqued my interest enough to come try it. (Edit: mystery solved here)

The fried egg was drizzled with dark soy just like how my mother would prepare it. I am delighted that it was done the way I liked it with crisp edges and runny yolk.

I had one bite, followed by another and another. Before I realized it, I had devoured the entire egg. 

With the fried egg now gone, I finally noticed the pile of uninspiring-looking char siew on top of the noodle. Such dyed char siew are quite common with our local wanton noodle. Some may like it while some preferred the roasted kind.

richard low wonton mee, singapore,wanton mee,云吞面,food review,review,雲吞麵,wanton noodle,food,blk 125 bukit merah lane 1,

There are four boiled wantons in the soup. The morsel of meat wrapped inside is just plain minced pork. Lightly marinated, the pork flavor was not dominated by any flavorings.

The soup was also on the lighter side with hints of ikan bilis. Not the tastiest of soups around but it beats having tonnes of msg in it.

richard low wonton mee, singapore,wanton mee,云吞面,food review,review,雲吞麵,wanton noodle,food,blk 125 bukit merah lane 1,

The highlight for me has to be the noodle tossed with their special sauce.

With a springy bite, the noodle is dressed in a concoction of lard oil, chili and secret seasonings that screams old school.

In fact, the stall can customized it in several ways for you: black sauce, chili, black sauce + chili, ketchup and plain (oil based).

richard low wonton mee, singapore,wanton mee,云吞面,food review,review,雲吞麵,wanton noodle,food,blk 125 bukit merah lane 1,


NO-NAME WANTON MEE
Hong Kong Street Chun Kee
Blk 125 Bukit Merah Lane 1
Singapore 159471

Business Hours
Mon - Sun: 7am - 4pm




Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach