Fatty Cheong Wanton Noodle @ ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre

singapore,abc brickworks market,food review,肥仔详,abc brickworks market & food centre,fatty cheong,roast,6 bukit merah lane 1,wanton noodle,wanton mee,

A week ago, I visited ABC Brickworks Market & Food Centre specifically aiming for the wanton noodle from a roast stall called Fatty Cheong because I have heard so much about their bu jian tian char siew which is actually BBQ pork made from the pig's arm pit.

In order to avoid the lunch crowd, I intentionally arrive slightly after 11am - their stipulated opening hour listed on hungrygowhere and burpple.

To my dismay, they seem far from ready for business as the lights are not on and there are no roasts hanging on the racks. 

I did not want to waste any time so I went through my food list and decided to go for the next available stall opened at that time which is Wow Wow West.

The plan was to wait for Fatty Cheong to get ready while having my chicken chop but as fate would have it, I am too full from my western food to have anything else.

Furthermore, by the time I finished, it was nearing noon and Fatty Cheong is still not opened yet.

I have to leave in disappointment and plan another trip back soon.

singapore,abc brickworks market,food review,肥仔详,abc brickworks market & food centre,fatty cheong,roast,6 bukit merah lane 1,wanton noodle,wanton mee,

So, fast forward a week later, I am back at the food centre again and at around the same timing as the previous week but Fatty Cheong is still not opened for business yet.

Same thing, the lights were off and nothing was hanging on the racks. I ordered a mug of old school pineapple drink and found a seat where I could observe the stall.

By 11.30am, I noticed someone standing in front of the stall however, the lights were still not on yet.

I am on high alert when a second person stood behind the first arrival. I finished up my drink and make it to the queue as number three.

I stood in line, rather impatiently because the first person was packing quite a few orders. The lights finally came on at 11.40am.

abc brickworks, abc brickworks market & food centre, abc market, fatty cheong, food, food review, review, roast, singapore, 肥仔详

It is self-service here. You place your order, make your payment and wait to collect your food. When it reached my turn, I placed my order for a plate of wanton noodle.

After collecting my order, I proceed to find myself a table and sit down. It was at that moment my nose caught a whiff of strong alkaline smell which I detest coming from the noodles. 

Apart from the thickened BBQ sauce drenched on the char siew and a layer of oil at the bottom, the noodle is basically devoid of any other flavorings (such as soy sauce) which make the noodles rather bland and unpalatable.

That chili is good though.

I had to leave half of the noodles untouched as I find it hard to stomach.

singapore,abc brickworks market,food review,肥仔详,abc brickworks market & food centre,fatty cheong,roast,6 bukit merah lane 1,wanton noodle,wanton mee,

Fatty Cheong's char siew however, is definitely a cut above the rest. Just look at that charred bits and the thin/fat ratio. Now, this is what I call a proper char siew.

How I wish all wanton noodle stalls serve this type of char siew! Those paper-thin dyed char siew are crap!

singapore,abc brickworks market,food review,肥仔详,abc brickworks market & food centre,fatty cheong,roast,6 bukit merah lane 1,wanton noodle,wanton mee,

The wantons and soup did not fare too well either. The boiled wantons are quite pedestrian while the soup is simply tasteless. 

I will be back to try their other roasts but I will give their noodles a wide berth.

singapore,abc brickworks market,food review,肥仔详,abc brickworks market & food centre,fatty cheong,roast,6 bukit merah lane 1,wanton noodle,wanton mee,

The nearest bus stop (bus stop code 10139) is in front of Blk 1 Jalan Bukit Merah but I usually took a bus (33 or 120) from the bus stop (bus stop code 10201) opposite Redhill MRT Station, alight at the bus stop (bus stop code 11529) before IKEA and walk over.


FATTY CHEONG 肥仔详
ABC Brickworks Food Centre
6 Bukit Merah Lane 1
#01-120
Singapore 150006

Business Hours
Mon - Sun : 11am - 8.30pm
Closed: Thu close

GPS Coordinates: 1.286869,103.8058649


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach