Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee @ Blk 130 Jurong Gateway Road

soi 19 thai wanton mee,十九街雲吞麵,雲吞麵,thai wanton mee,food,singapore,soi 19,food review,review,十九街,jurong east,blk 130 jurong gateway road,

Update: Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee has relocated. It's new address has been updated at the bottom of this post.

Two years ago, I learned of a certain Thai-styled wanton mee setting up shop at the Ang Mo Kio area and being the avid wanton mee lover that I am, how could I not give it a try?

However, the mere thought of getting there just for a bowl of noodles convinced me otherwise and I ended up procrastinating for the longest time.

When I found out that they have a new outlet at Jurong East, it got me excited since the location is very much closer to me now.

Unfortunately, I have been to the coffeeshop no lesser than five times but each time I have to turn back in disappointment as they are always closed when I got there.

I have to admit that I did not check their opening hours prior to all my visits as I naively thought that they will be opened to the dinner crowd.

Not their fault, of course, but the final straw came during my last visit sometime late last year when I find the stall closed yet again. I did an online search and that is when I realized they close quite early but my findings made me even more frustrated because different sources gave different timings ranging from 3.30pm, 4pm, 4.30pm to even 5pm.

Well, this explains why I always find them closed whenever I visited in the evenings.

With the mystery solved, all that remains is to visit the stall in the morning but it is difficult for me to be there at that hour. From then on, I have totally given up the idea to have a bowl of this elusive Thai-styled wanton mee due to its unfriendly timing (for me).

soi 19 thai wanton mee,十九街雲吞麵,雲吞麵,thai wanton mee,food,singapore,soi 19,food review,review,十九街,jurong east,blk 130 jurong gateway road,

Fast forward to March 2017, I finally found myself in the vicinity of Jurong East one morning. I wasted no time to make my way to the coffeeshop and there it was, opened for business!

As I stood in line, I realized there are some changes made to the menu. There is a 50 cents increase in the regular bowl from $3.50 to $4 while prices for the large and jumbo bowls remained the same. Also, the previously $4 medium bowl has been removed from the menu.

Since the medium bowl which is what I had initially wanted to order is no longer available and I heard the portion of the regular bowl is rather small, I decided to order the large bowl with extra ingredients and noodles for $5.

The queue cleared pretty fast and I soon received my order.

soi 19 thai wanton mee,十九街雲吞麵,雲吞麵,thai wanton mee,food,singapore,soi 19,food review,review,十九街,jurong east,blk 130 jurong gateway road,

Placed right in front of the stall for the taking are condiments like sugar, chili flakes, green pickled chili and fish sauce. I did not see the "free-flow of fried pork lard" as mentioned by the other reviewers.

I only added chili flakes and pickled green chili to my $5 bowl which contained two fried wantons, some lean pieces of char siew, some pieces of lup cheong, vegetables and pork lard. There were two more boiled wantons in the bowl of soup.

As I gave everything a good toss, I noticed the lack of sauce at the bottom of the bowl but the noodles does not taste dry at all as they are coated with what I suspect is fragrant shallot oil.

soi 19 thai wanton mee,十九街雲吞麵,雲吞麵,thai wanton mee,food,singapore,soi 19,food review,review,十九街,jurong east,blk 130 jurong gateway road,

The eggy noodles are cooked al dente with a delightful springiness and I am further impressed by its flavors. How did they achieve such flavorful noodles with minimal dressing?

Ingredients wise, if only the char siew is a little more smoky with bits of fats to level up the enjoyment. The lup cheong (Chinese sausage) on the other hand, is soft and chewy unlike the usual that is dry and hard. It's texture is not unlike those Taiwanese sausage. As for the wantons, they are quite pedestrian though I preferred the fried ones more than the boiled ones.

On the whole, I can safely say that Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee is among my favorite of all wanton mee.

It has its own uniqueness not found in our local version. Even the soup that comes with my noodles tasted different and delicious!

At the point of writing this, I am already making plans for a revisit!

soi 19 thai wanton mee,十九街雲吞麵,雲吞麵,thai wanton mee,food,singapore,soi 19,food review,review,十九街,jurong east,blk 130 jurong gateway road,

The coffeeshop is located diagonally across the street from this Seventh-Day Adventist Church and just right beside Jurong East CPF Building.


SOI 19 THAI WANTON MEE 十九街雲吞麵
BGAIN 130 Eating House
Blk 130 Jurong Gateway Road
#01-211
Singapore 600130

Business Hours
Wed - Sun: 7.30am - 5pm
Mon & Tues: Closed

GPS Coordinates: 1.3349293,103.7370883

🠟🠟🠟NEW ADDRESS🠟🠟🠟
SOI 19 THAI WANTON MEE 十九街雲吞麵
Fu Chan Food Paradise
Blk 134 Jurong Gateway Road
#01-211
Singapore 600134

Business Hours
Wed - Sun: 7.30am - 5pm
Mon & Tues: Closed




Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach