Ah Heng Curry Chicken Bee Hoon Mee @ Hong Lim Food Centre

兴记咖喱鸡米粉面,亚王咖喱鸡米粉面,咖喱鸡,singapore,hong lim market & food centre,ah heng curry chicken bee hoon mee,food review,芳林熟食中心,curry chicken mee,531a upper cross street,

Ah Heng Curry Chicken Bee Hoon Mee is one of the two better-known stalls for selling the same dish at Hong Lim Market & Food Centre.

While Ah Heng is located on the second level, the other competing stall - Heng Kee Curry Chicken Bee Hoon Mee - is located directly downstairs on the first level.

What both stalls are selling here is not curry chicken with mee but Hainanese-styled poached chicken with curry mee. (Hope I am not confusing anyone here)

Having eaten at Ah Heng a number of times, I always tell myself that I will try the other stall the next time I come here however, when that time arrive, I will instinctively go up to the second level, bypassing the first level. Again.

And the cycle repeats itself.

兴记咖喱鸡米粉面,亚王咖喱鸡米粉面,咖喱鸡,singapore,hong lim market & food centre,ah heng curry chicken bee hoon mee,food review,芳林熟食中心,curry chicken mee,531a upper cross street,

My usual order is the medium bowl with bee hoon (rice vermicelli) mixed with mee (yellow noodles). I cannot stomach it if the entire bowl is just the soft and slippery mee. I need to mix with some bee hoon for that contrasting texture.

My bowl of curry bee hoon mee contains some chunks of chicken meat, half a potato, taupok (beancurd puffs), and fish cake slices which I had almost mistaken as abalone slices! (refer to first photo)

They are available in three sizes - small ($4.50), medium ($5.50) and large ($6.50).

兴记咖喱鸡米粉面,亚王咖喱鸡米粉面,咖喱鸡,singapore,hong lim market & food centre,ah heng curry chicken bee hoon mee,food review,芳林熟食中心,curry chicken mee,531a upper cross street,

Their poached chicken is done really well which I attribute to the timing the chicken sat in the bath of hot water.

Despite being drenched with curry, the natural flavors of the chicken is still pretty evident. I especially love sucking on the succulent wings which is so tender the flesh will just slide off from the bone effortlessly.

Their chicken breasts on the other hand, deserve a mention here because instead of being tough and unpalatable, the meat is actually tender and moist.

兴记咖喱鸡米粉面,亚王咖喱鸡米粉面,咖喱鸡,singapore,hong lim market & food centre,ah heng curry chicken bee hoon mee,food review,芳林熟食中心,curry chicken mee,531a upper cross street,

What took my breathe away while standing in front of the stall, is not the number of accolades plastered on the glass, the photographs taken with celebrities or the recommendation by the Michelin Guide 2016 but by the magnificent sight of the taupok and halved potatoes swirling around in the vat of fiery-looking curry.

However, do not be intimidated by the layer of crimson-colored oil on top as the spiciness is still manageable without having to down lots of water.

Honestly, I am not a taupok person. Whenever there is taupok in my food, I will give them all to my Mum but this is the rare instance where I would wallop every single one of them because they have fully absorbed all the curry goodness.

I am very tempted to finish the curry till the last drop but I was held back by the image of the horrified look on my doctor's face...

ah heng curry 兴记咖喱鸡米粉面,亚王咖喱鸡米粉面,咖喱鸡,singapore,hong lim market & food centre,ah heng curry chicken bee hoon mee,food review,芳林熟食中心,curry chicken mee,531a upper cross street,bee hoon mee, curry chicken mee, hong lim, singapore, 亚王咖喱鸡米粉面, 咖喱鸡, 米粉面, 芳林熟食中心

I like to use this fragrant chili as a dip instead of mixing it into the curry as I already find the curry delicious on it's own. Adding in the chili will only alter the taste but of course, the choice is yours to make.

兴记咖喱鸡米粉面,亚王咖喱鸡米粉面,咖喱鸡,singapore,hong lim market & food centre,ah heng curry chicken bee hoon mee,food review,芳林熟食中心,curry chicken mee,531a upper cross street,


AH HENG CURRY CHICKEN BEE HOON MEE 亚王咖喱鸡米粉面
Hong Lim Market & Food Centre
531A Upper Cross Street
#02-57/58
Singapore 051531

Business Hours
Mon - Fri: 10am - 9pm
Sat, Sun, Public Holidays: 8am - 9pm

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/BPboUTAkZnv
GPS Coordinates: 1.2852832,103.8437678


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach