Delicious Fried Carrot Cake 日夜香菜头粿 @ Redhill Market & Food Centre

cai tau kueh, carrot cake, chai tau kueh, chai tow kway, delicious fried carrot cake, food, food review, fried carrot cake, personal, redhill, redhill food centre, review, singapore, 日夜香菜头粿, 菜头粿, redhill market & food centre,

There are two rival fried carrot cake stalls at Redhill Food Centre but I decided to patronize the one called Delicious Fried Carrot Cake (日夜香菜头粿 #01-33) instead of Fu Ming Cooked Food (福明熟食 #01-49).

The reason why I picked one over the other is because I heard that they add taugeh (beansprouts) to their fried carrot cake. I have eaten fried carrot cake with beansprouts at Thailand before but it is still the first time I have heard of this combination in Singapore. I must admit, it did arouse my interest to give them a try.

Manned by an elderly couple, the uncle does all the frying while the auntie helps to take order, beat the eggs and receive payment.

Both the white and black versions of fried carrot cake are available here and you can opt for or without beansprouts.

cai tau kueh, carrot cake, chai tau kueh, chai tow kway, delicious fried carrot cake, food, food review, fried carrot cake, personal, redhill, redhill food centre, review, singapore, 日夜香菜头粿, 菜头粿, redhill market & food centre,

I placed an order for a S$3 portion of white carrot cake with beansprouts. Since there is only one person before me, I did not had to wait for long.

The chunky carrot cake is softly moist and had a springy texture. Everything is held together by a generous amount of egg. I requested for chilli but I did not taste it.

Overall, the carrot cake had a eggy fragrance that I like and it was not too greasy. The softness of the carrot cake is a contrast to the crunchy beansprouts which I wished there were more of since it is what I came for.

The stall uses oil with reduced saturated fat and coupled with the use of beansprouts seem to suggest this as a healthier version of fried carrot cake which I could eat often without guilt.

HOWEVER...

While waiting for my order, I noticed the auntie wiping the sweat off her brows with her hands numerous times and with the same hands, she would touch the plates for the next order. I understand it is hot inside the stall but perhaps she could consider using a face towel instead of her bare hands for this purpose?

Until I could erase that disturbing image off my mind, I will not be paying a return visit anytime soon no matter how delicious their fried carrot cake is.


DELICIOUS FRIED CARROT CAKE 日夜香菜头粿
Redhill Market & Food Centre
Blk 85 Redhill Lane
#01-33
Singapore 150085

Opening Hours
Mon - Sun: 7.30am – 2pm daily

Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/U4VH8L3Q2H32
GPS Coordinates: 1.287294,103.8159942


Follow/Like
twitter: dead_cockroach
instagram: thedeadcockroach