Why Corporal Punishment May Not Neccesarily Be Bad

When I was in fourth grade, I was made to slap myself ten times on each side of my face by my English teacher right in front of the whole class.

Needless to say, my self-esteem was completely crushed for I have never been subjected to such degree of humiliation before.

My crime?

For not being able to distinguish 'GLASS' from 'GRASS'.

Seriously?

Twenty slaps over a silly confusion between"glass" and "grass"?

Of course I was upset with my English teacher but the slapping incident actually drove me to strive harder because I vowed never to let her have the chance to make me go through that ever again.

I began reading more to improve on my grammar and vocabulary until one day, many months later, my English teacher waved my exercise book excitedly in the air and announced to all my classmates that I have received the highest marks for my composition!

At that moment, I knew I had won back my pride and dignity. Since then, English became one of my better subjects in school which I continued to score well in even after I went on to secondary school.

Therefore, I feel that corporal punishment may not neccesarily be a bad thing. In fact, it helped me to overcome my poor command of the language.

Like what the proverb says, "What does not kill you, makes you stronger!"